Author Topic: Does a riders confirmation restrict the ability to sit correctly?  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Chaddy10

• Expired Membership
Hi!
I am a new member and am trying desperately to sit correctly so that my horse and I can develop an even better bond, and so I am more secure and dont fall off if he spooks when I am in rising trot! However my lower leg wobbles about and have short tight muscled legs and tight hips and try as I might cant seem to get the calves to cling gently around his sides!
I am planning a trip to the Simulator course in July, and am reading all books etc on subject but unfortunately there does not seem to be anyone in my area to have lessons from (Milton Keynes), so are there any hints on helping my legs to stop tensing up and does it matter where they are positioned, do I just need to aim for balance instead?
Any tips greatfully received!
Thanks,
Laura

Offline georgiegirl

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
Re: Does a riders confirmation restrict the ability to sit correctly?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »
Look into pilates :) . I do not have anyway of getting to a class so i try to walk,sit straight etc in my everyday life rather than slouching. If you are physically wonky then perhaps a chiropracter can look at you.

Offline Fiona

• Joined -January
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
For tight hips you can get one of those giant physio balls and practise sitting on it with your hips open to stretch them gradually (while you are watching TV in the evening, or using the computer).

Offline Harmony

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
Tbh, it might not all be about you - so much depends on the size and shape of your horse and the saddle you use. Impossible to tell without video.

Offline Chaddy10

• Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
Thanks for your replies! I started Pilates a couple of months ago, and go once a week :)it does help! I will definitely try the gym ball - great idea!
I am trying to attach a video but not working, I am not great with technology! Will try again.....

Offline Chaddy10

• Expired Membership
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:06 AM »
I have a picture so you can see my conformation! Difficulty in getting knees down and thighs straighter!
 :D

Offline yvonnemzz

• Joined- January
  • EE Teachers
    • Riding with Reason
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
Most saddles (even dressage ones) have the stirrup bars set too far forward which takes the riders' leg forward and it is very difficult to bring the leg back under the body. If you are going on one of Heathers' sim courses she will show you how this makes such a difference.
The other advice re stretching, gym balls, Pilates etc is all relevant as well. It won't happen over night but, gradually, you will start to improve your suppleness little by little which will help your position. It is important that you can let your legs 'drape' around the horse but to do this you must be able to 'let go' with your hips and not hold any tension or tightness in this area. That's the hard part.  Lovely stretch shown by your horse, though.
EET Level 3 and Saddle Agent (South Carolina USA) Monty Roberts Intro Certificate Holder (Natural Horsemanship) www.ridingwithreason.co.uk
EE Simulator lessons now available

Offline Chaddy10

• Expired Membership
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »
Thank-you! He is much more supple than me - lol!!!! :-[

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
Golly, I bet your legs look way longer when you kick your feet out of the stirrups! Your conformation looks fine but you can't really hope to develop suppleness with your knees up round your ears  ;). Don't worry, the simulator course will be an eye-opener.  :db: