Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
  • Expired Membership
Tips please
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
My pony falls in really badly on the right rein. I can correct her in walk by leg yielding over, which seems to work ok. Trot is a bit harder for me, but I'm sure, with a bit of practise that I will get there.
The problem is, when she is fed up and thinks we have done enough schooling, she deliberatley DIVES into to the inside on this rein. I think she has clicked that this is my weaker side as well as her own and plays on it. When she does this, I find it VERY hard to just leg yield over as she is very strong and stubborn (Fell pony). Rather than get into a battle, I have been turning her on a very small circle until we get back out onto the track. Any other suggestions?
I have put this in rider training rather than horse training as I know it's my fault that she can do this. :sad:

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
Re: Tips please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
Normally I would say think shoulder-in, but I have to teach shoulder-in first. 

Thinking shoulder-in for a few steps/strides when the horse starts to fall-in, corrects the rider's weight and brings the horse back out and is usually the opposite of what the rider wants to do to stop a horse falling in.  Usually I find a rider will turn their body towards the outside and try to push the horse out with the inside rein, weight going onto the inside seat-bone.  Thinking shoulder-in brings the riders outside shoulder forward and levels the weight back up onto the outside seatbone, freeing the horse up to respond to the inside leg at the girth asking him to stay straight, or move back out.

So it depends on what's going wrong and whether you can ride shoulder-in and make yourself think shoulder-in, rather than trying to push your pony back out?

If your pony thinks you are asking her to fall in, which you could be doing, could make her frustrated when inadvertently asking her to fall in, you then try to push her back out and end up with her diving to the inside in her mistaken efforts to do what she thinks you want, rather than what you think you want.  :D

Offline Harmony

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
 I completely agree with SueC  - but in addition, I'd say that you are dealing with the Fell pony breed's no.1 favourite evasion ! Because typically the rider is dealing with a lot of pony behind the saddle , but a fairly short length of rein, it is really important to continually ensure you 'have the shoulder' i.e., don't visualise steering the pony from the head and neck, but from the shoulder. Ensure the pony does not fall in through the transitions and as well as the S-I aids SueC has mentioned above, you may find momentarily lifting the inside hand to be helpful in counteracting the pony's desire to jack-knife and fall in.

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
Great answers thanks, and yes, I admit to trying to push her back over with the inside rein  :-[
We have done a bit so SI so will think this every time we come to a corner and especially on the right rein. I will try mixing  the schooling sessions a bit more too, so she doesn't start to get " bored"

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 05:00:29 AM »
I would check your weight in your seat as well. If you are weighting one side more than the other - it gives her an easy target. Sit on your hands palms up cupping your seatbones at a walk and see what happens :D

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Experts: would it help to make sure there isn't any rushing involved? Slow things down a bit?

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
YES it would!

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:39:10 PM »
Great answers you lot, nothing to add!! :db: :db: