Author Topic: Feeding oil to put weight on  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Erin's mum

• Joined-july
  • Expired Membership
Feeding oil to put weight on
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:07:33 PM »
Lily is the type of horse that struggles to keep weight on. At the moment she is getting almost adlib. hay except we are a bit short of it up here now so have to be sensibe. She is out on the grass most days but its yet to come through properly. I feed her about 1.5 round scoops of calm and condition (quantity once soaked), half a round scoop of high fibre cubes and chaff. I've never really had a horse that I need to worry about hardfeed before so not that clued up on different brands etc. and the quantity is a bit of a guess  :-[

Anyway she still is a bit ribby although she has a lovely shine on her. I see a lot of people seem to use oil to put weight on but is that the best route to go down? Excuse my ignorance but is it ok to just feed them pure fat or should I be looking more at a different type of feed or a balancer?? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Emily+co in sunny(?) Scotland xx

Offline CarolineJ

• Joined-January
  • EE Society Member
Re: Feeding oil to put weight on
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »
You could try micronised linseed instead of oil - feed up to a standard-sized coffee mugful a day.  You can buy it in smaller batches from pro-earth on eBay or get a 20kg sack from Charnwood Milling.

Offline Erin's mum

• Joined-july
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »
 :db: great thanks! Looking around it sounds like a good option to try. Need to go to local feed mill in next couple of days so will see if they stock it there and if not get a wee bag online to try. Thanks again!
Emily+co in sunny(?) Scotland xx

Offline blazenashe

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
  • What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
Try cool stance copra meal it's coconut oil based,worked wonders on ours ,and there's no rubbish in it x

Offline horse dreamer

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »
I would definitely go with the micronised linseed first.
Quite a few at my yard use it (including myself) and we have all found it has helped without any ill effects.
Not found a local supplier, so if you come across one, please let me know.
On line this has been the cheapest place we have found (it is still Charnwood product but via another supplier)
http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/horse-feed/conditioning/micronized-linseed-20kg.html