Author Topic: Companion youngster wanted on loan ( male)  (Read 3718 times)

issywizz

Companion youngster wanted on loan ( male)
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
Im looking for a playmate for Bravio my yearling PRE colt as his current companion is great and makes a good surrogate daddy but doesn't really fulfil his play needs ( he's a 15 year old gelding).
Needs to be male, around the same age and size so unfortunately no ponies as Bravio and his pal ( who would remain in the group as an adult influence) have to be on ad-lib grazing to keep their weight up which would be too much for most ponies.
Im looking to loan for 2/3 years so they can grow up together, or it could be on a free grass livery basis.
I have lots of horses here but nothing thats either young enough or could cope on unrestricted grazing unfortunately hence why Im looking.
This is my place where he would be kept   http://www.nrf-horseretirement.com/GRASS-LIVERY
Please pm or email me if you have or know of anything that may be suitable.
Thanks

Offline Gixer

• Joined-May
  • Expired Membership
    • Forever Living, Aloe Vera
Re: Companion youngster wanted on loan ( male)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
There has been an appeal on tonights countryfile by the RSPCA looking for foster homes for youngsters.
Thought might be worth you contacting them see if they have a young man suitable for you?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006t0bv

Offline whisper's mum

• EE-Site Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
I just saw that and thought the same.  :)
Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

issywizz

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:47:40 PM »
Thanks  :db:
Just found their site so will fill in the forms and see what happens , sadly most aren't suitable as its mostly ponies which would create a grass issue with them living out together, but they do have one or two bigger ones.

Offline Candypony

• Joined-June
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
hmmmm.... the very BAD thought going through my head is... "what if I were to BUY one that could grow up with you..."  :whistle:  :dev: Maybe I should just give that idea to someone else!!

looks like you have a lovely place there.  :D
Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it - Chinese proverb

Sally - West Sussex, UK

[img width=43 height=44]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/29485.gif

Offline Icy Lady

• Joined-November
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
hmmmm.... the very BAD thought going through my head is... "what if I were to BUY one that could grow up with you..."  :whistle:  :dev: Maybe I should just give that idea to someone else!!

looks like you have a lovely place there.  :D

Strangely enough that thought went through my head Sally ........................... not that I was going to be the first to mention it  :dev:
Tadley, Hampshire

issywizz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Well there are a few nice yearling PRE colts with various breeders atm  :whistle:
They are notoriously bad at advertising stock but I know of at least 3 that have yearlings available as Ive been considering just buying one instead  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Offline sixfootblonde

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
    • http://www.western-saddler.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »
We have a yearling, two, three and four year old boys, and I have not had one the same age for each of them. We have always had a male horse within 3 years of age though and it has always worked really well. They have always been really playful. We have four year old Arthur (Guinevere's son, which would be fitting, seeing as you rescued his mother from being killed). He is 15hh, strong, playful, and can take lots of grass. Never had to restrict him yet. No worries if he's not what you're looking for but wanted to share my experience, and my horse ;)

Offline Candypony

• Joined-June
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
so.... would one born this year be too young?!?!  :whistle:
Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those doing it - Chinese proverb

Sally - West Sussex, UK

[img width=43 height=44]http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/29485.gif

issywizz

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »
Thanks Maria but I do think he would struggle with the grazing they need as Bravio needs loads and his pal is a 17.2 who needs even more  :o I would put them in with Sam and Iss if it wasn't for the grass issue as they like to play.

I thought you had sold Arthur though?  :cc_confused:
CP, unfortunately yes as it would mean he would have to spend the whole summer without a playmate  still and I would really like to get him settled in the next month or so .

Ive been offered a yearling PRE which Im going to try and get to see this week    :)

Offline SueWhitmore

• Joined-August
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
I would far rather buy than foster. Too many rules and regs come with the horse when you take on a rescue.

Offline sixfootblonde

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:25:05 PM »
Arthur, and his mum, can go pretty much ad lib grass. 

We had sold him, and he is now backed, but the lady decided a young horse was no good for her nerves. Apparently he didn't put a foot wrong, but she was just waiting for the inevitable explosion. So, he has come back, as I couldn't bear the thought of him going to any home. So if you know of someone who wants a wonderfully calm minded, sensible gelding who is very strong, let me know ;)

issywizz

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Oh what a shame  :sad:
Ive arranged to go and see the PRE tomorrow as I think he will fit better with grass levels and temperament tbh.
I would aswell Sue, I did have a look at the RSPCA fostering form but Ive decided I don't want to have to give a companion back later as that will leave me without a companion for him again.
Also they do have some odd questions on it

Offline sixfootblonde

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
No worries at all :) Another PRE would be lovely. :) If you know a good home that would like a lovely Arthur, let me know.

Good luck with your viewing :)

issywizz

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
Thanks Maria, my new boy arrived today  :wub: :wub: