Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Hard Feet  (Read 3099 times)

SNC

Hard Feet
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cassie has really hard feet and the soles are starting to break.  I have ordered some hoof moist but I wondered if there was anything else to try.  I know the weather dries them out but I think her bedding does too. :)

Any ideas????? :)

winnieandben

Re: Hard Feet
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • I asked my farrier about this recently and he said to forget hoof products and get the feet in water instead. :)

SNC

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »
  • Publish
  • I know mine a few years ago recommended soaking her feet, I will try that, thanks  :D

Offline von10

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Please don't worry about this, it sounds simply like her soles are going through the normal exfoliation process. Small pieces or even the whole sole can peel away, a bit like flaky skin on humans.....

Soaking them will not make them moist. It will waterlog them which is unhealthy. Moisture content is a very fine balance and comes from within the hoof, hence why on a hot day you get wet footprints.

Once the pieces have flaked off she will have a lovely new sole underneath  :db: .

Y.

edited to add ...... Most hoof oils and moists will prevent the hoof from breathing, check it is breathable, but preferably don't use.
    EET Level 1 North East Derbyshire

Knowing others makes you wise. Knowing yourself makes you Enlightened.

SNC

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
  • Publish
  • My farrier did say to make sure that whatever I use is water based, is this the case.  Also its not just her feet, her frogs are really hard too .  :)

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • I wouldn't treat them with anything it sounds like normal exfoliation to me, the foot just needs to work in a sand arena and it will come up nice and tidy again.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset