Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Barefoot til now....but  (Read 6550 times)

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
  • Expired Membership
Re: Barefoot til now....but
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:01 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :rant: :rant: :rant:NO.NO.NO dont have anything man made on the feet, putting shoes on which are built up will totally alter your horses natural way of going and will do damage.

I was involved with the fitting of running shoes on runners in the early 80s wanting to run marathons. The problem was finding shoes which did not hinder their natural running gait.
    I always advised a softer soled shoe for people who landed on their  inner or outer edges of their foot, so that they were not being restricted and hindered by a solid soled shoe.

If you fit a shoe that has a false landing edge it will cause damage to the horses leg over time

There are ways of stopping boots moving or twisting, its just a case of finding the way.

Willi is toe in and clumsey, his boots always twisted round. It was just a case of trying different ways to stop the movement. I cracked it with pads and wraps plus a larger boot to take all the extra stuff. they never moved.

The problem is farriers are so blinkered in what they do they cant see the bigger picture.

Offline Belbe

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
      • Belbe's Art Gallery
    « Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 02:00:49 AM »
  • Publish

• The problem is farriers are so blinkered in what they do they cant see the bigger picture.

HAIL HAIL!! it's a positive nighmare talking to a regular farrier! there is a shoe for everything! the shoe is the solution for everything! Common! I see human kids running of knife edge sharp lava rocks at the beach barefoot! and they are humans! with our soft plumpy skin! Now tell me a damn hoof can't do better? wt*!
    "... you leave it to horse people to put tradition ahead of science." _Pete Ramey

Offline Icy Lady

• Joined-November
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 08:07:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • The problem is farriers are so blinkered in what they do they cant see the bigger picture.

I would have to disagree with - ok, its only some farriers, but speaking personally I have 2 farriers who have done a bit of training with Peter Laidley and have kept mine barefoot for the last 5 years  :db:  albeit, with some added help from me  :whistle:

They have lent me a number of their farriery books and it has promoted some interesting discussions and they have read Pete Ramey's & KC's books and watched DVDs.  They have come to this with an open mind and the only comments I tend to get is that none of this is actually new!

In all honesty I think they have been surprised that we have managed as well as we have, but 5 years in they have to admit it works 
    Tadley, Hampshire

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 11:10:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • All I can say is that my farrier phoned me yesterday to ask me what training I'd followed to become a barefoot trimmer, he and a couple of his colleagues want to learn more to enhance their skills.

I have to say I never thought I'd hear this but I am truely ecstatic at the turnaround.  He's always been understanding as to why I removed my horse's shoes and followed this path, but in 5 years, he's obviously liked what he's seen and is probably now seeing a change in the market which has driven his need for more knowledge on this "trend".

:yahoo:
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thats good news PD, its what I would like to see, far more integration so that owners have more choice and its not such a barefoot/shod divide, but more about what suits the horse.
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Exactly, I use him to shoe if I have a horse that needs shoes, so he knows I'm realistic and open minded too.  I'm so happy today, it feels like a real step forward.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset