Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Attitudes of farriers?  (Read 12178 times)

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
  • Expired Membership
Re: Attitudes of farriers?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Im old enough to remember the days before a farrier was mobile!..AND its not all that long ago...

Horses were walked to the local town and lined up outside the forge to wait their turn.
    It was a great time for getting together and a chin wag.

Farriers can be great and caring people, but then there are those who want to see as many horses in as short a time as possible, money being the big decider on how long they stay, I wouldn't go back to a shod horse for anything.
    What would be the point?.
    Ive never been as happy.
    No hunting for lost shoes in the field.   
    Being let down by assorted farriers often for up to 5 weeks is a thing of the past, having no one ring you back, or send a tex even when you've left fifty messages on their phone is unforgivable.

Boots are the answer.

Me and O.H have been out riding today, two horses one and a half sets '6' boots, it took me about three minutes to fit them, and they only wore them today because we were going over some dreadfully stony ground.

Offline DollysMum

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    • Mum to Kai, RIP Dolly xxx
    « Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just have to post these photos to prove that not all farriers are bad - mine is simply amazing:

Dolly's xray pictures:

Her front feet (don't seem to have any of her unshod backs):

One of Kai's hind feet a year ago:

The same foot tonight:

And another Kai foot (this one's a front):

visconde

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • show me a boot I can stick on mine that will enable me to go over any terrain, for as long as I want without rubbing , get my horse to survive Scottish weather without being footy when I want to ride on anything other than a surface or turf, get me boots to fit my exmoor with feet wider than long and I'll think about it!

sorry, but none of the barefoot people I know up here actually ride more than the odd 20
    minutes here and there.I photograph endurance all the time and only one or two pleasure riders use boots.

I'm really not having a go (well, maybe a bit :dev:) but I havent seen anything about 'barefoot' that would convince me my horse could do the job I want if barefoot. and yes, my horse has a job-if that makes me a bad owner then so be it-I dont think anyone who has met me or him doubts that he is well appreciated.

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
  • Publish
      sorry, but none of the barefoot people I know up here actually ride more than the odd 20
    minutes here and there.
    Oi!

"to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Very nice Dolly's Mum  :db: :db: :db:
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline Claire

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
      • http://myfifthhorse.blogspot.com/
    « Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oi!

think you're a bit further north ....

but i agree with the Oi!

Offline Greybaby

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • sorry, but none of the barefoot people I know up here actually ride more than the odd 20
    minutes here and there.I photograph endurance all the time and only one or two pleasure riders use boots.

I'm really not having a go (well, maybe a bit :dev:) but I havent seen anything about 'barefoot' that would convince me my horse could do the job I want if barefoot. and yes, my horse has a job-if that makes me a bad owner then so be it-I dont think anyone who has met me or him doubts that he is well appreciated.
    Ok, so I'm south of the border, but my old mare did endurance barefoot (when she wasn't so old!) and eventing, and driving on roads and stoney tracks for 2+ hours at a time, our hacks were never less than 2 hours, usually more like 3 or 4, and we had a couple of summers where she was both driven and ridden most days (totalling 4+ hours of exercise daily) all unshod, with a farrier trim (no barefoot trimmers then  ;)) She never struggled with her job  :D

(oh how I wish I had that much time to spend playing horsies these days  :whistle:)

winnieandben

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 08:18:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • show me a boot I can stick on mine that will enable me to go over any terrain, for as long as I want without rubbing , get my horse to survive Scottish weather without being footy when I want to ride on anything other than a surface or turf, get me boots to fit my exmoor with feet wider than long and I'll think about it!

This is the problem I had, I wanted to keep my horse barefoot but to do that she needed front boots to cope with the terrain here.  Unfortunately I couldnt find a boot to fit or if I got one to fit, not rub and I did persevere and try several options.

She is now shod on the front and is a very happy horse.  So as always they are all different and need different approaches to their management.

I have gone from an extremely reliable farrier who used to be early (he moved away) to one whose time keeping is not the best (and driving me mad) BUT he does a very good job and handles my horse with respect so I will have to put up with it for now....

visconde

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • think you're a bit further north ....

but i agree with the Oi!

I don't actually 'know' you or your horses (you and Mandeigh) but I know Mandeigh doesnt like hacking-which is fine!but the unshod horses I know locally arent ridden-and they arent all parelli  :dev:

eta I dont think the terrain would be so much of a problem if it wast so darn wet up here most of the time!but most of our local bridleways are very rough hardcore plus i opt to do a fair bit of roadwork in order to go further afield.
    « Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 08:41:53 AM by visconde »

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • Nope I don't like hacking...but I still  get the boy out fairly often (by my standards)

Wet!  by jings...we've just had  months rain in 24 hours.....in case anyone missed the news!   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  But not to worry the gales force winds will soon dry it up.  :whistle: :whistle:

Oops we see to have got way off topic.  Actually its not just the farriers who have the 'lazy fairy attitude', my last vets practices was the same....you could wait a whole day and he wouldn't arrive till 5 pm.  At least the practice I'm with now give you an approx time and then gives you a phone when he's about to leave.
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bloody norra, I shouldn't get into discussions like this...I ended up dreaming about farriers last night..and not in a good way  :whistle:

Moray,Scotland

Offline Diane Smith

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
      • http://dianesmithequineart.co.uk/
    « Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »
  • Publish
    The farrier I have at the moment does a lovely job, but is completely unreliable in terms of turning up.  Not just on time (I realise they live in some sort of wierd world world where time is elastic) but actually turning up in the first place.  I book him every time he comes in advance of his next appointment, but I still find my '6 weeks' to end up being stretched to 7, and in one case as much as 9 weeks

I got through 3 just like that, before we found a reliable one. They can be the best farrier in the world but if they don't turn up they are useless. Good luck with your search.

visconde

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bloody norra, I shouldn't get into discussions like this...I ended up dreaming about farriers last night..and not in a good way  :whistle:

:o
    lol-I dreamed I was on a planet about to implode and awaiting being teleported off, dunno if I made it or not..  :cc_confused:  :laugh:

SNC

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 12:06:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • my last vets practices was the same....you could wait a whole day and he wouldn't arrive till 5 pm.  At least the practice I'm with now give you an approx time and then gives you a phone when he's about to leave.

You mean vets know what telephone's look like  :cc_confused:

lisaNW

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
  • Publish
    I don't actually 'know' you or your horses (you and Mandeigh)

Also oi! and you know me  :dev:  I'm not a hackaholic but do go for more than 20 mins  ;) - C is booted, don't have rubbing probs but slippy on wet cobbles, although C also seems slippy on wet cobbles so not sure which is him and which is the boots, LOL! But Mul's feet are pretty good and he doesn't have boots and I've not done a jot of conditioning with him

MTA, now that looks like I'm on the barefoot bandwaggon - I'm not, just would err that way but wouldn't dismiss shoeing if I thought it would help.