Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Attitudes of farriers?  (Read 12180 times)

SNC

Re: Attitudes of farriers?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • It makes me appreciate my farrier all the more  :-X He hasn't missed one appointment in the 7 years I have used him.  He turns up on the day although he does have the tendency to be early.  He makes the appointment for his next visit and sticks to it.

He is always happy to talk to you and welcomes any questions you have too.

Offline Greybaby

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • Criky 50!  thats what my shod horses used to cost me.

One of the girls at our yard gets a trimmer 'swiss school' I think thats the new name for Dan Guerrara's stuff and she charges 35.
    My trimmer also charges  35, farrier is 34 for two trims.

However, in line with what TashaKat says, the trimmer spends a good 40-45 mins for one horse, and discusses any issues thoroughly, the farrier is no more than 20 mins for both horses. The trimmer was also prepared to spend up to two hours intially when Calima was very stressed about having her feet handled (and I know how most farriers near me deal with that scenario  :o :angry:)

My current line of thinking is to learn how to do 'tidy up' trims so that the trimmer can leave it longer between visits. If they can go twice as long between visits, then having the trimmer do the other two won't cost any more than the farrier ;)

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
  • Publish
      He turns up on the day although he does have the tendency to be early.
    [/b]

***thud****

:rofl:
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

winnieandben

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have had a few issues with my farrier and his time keeping / difficulty booking and was seriously considering finding someone else when he let me down again on Monday.  But he came out yesterday and did a first set of fronts on my youngster, made a fantastic job and was great handling her so he is forgiven for just now! :rolleyes:

He must have sensed we werent pleased as he turned up bang on time and with his diary to book the next appointment, :laugh:

lisaNW

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, the three trimmers in the group my own trimmer is part of/established (Barefootworks) are in huge demand up here, partly through the people who specifically want trimmers, but also very much due to the lack of farriers. They are all in the region of 35. Anni brings a tremendous amount of knowledge, she is a good horse handler (has done and does a lot of behaviour work too) so she can and does deal with the horses the farriers won't touch and is hot on and interested in the biomechanics, proprioception etc. So she's been great to discuss C with. She understands the difference in movement between breeds and things like that....I've had about 7 farriers in my time, only one stood out as really good, a newly qualified lad, but none ever were realyl open/seemed capable of discussing things holistically. Not to say all trimmers are 100% either, but am happy to have found myself a good 'un.

Anni is UKNHCP, the other two (one of whom has also trimmed for me) are Swiss School which as Mandeigh said is Dan Guererra. I'd love to do more myself but time is so tight I really appreciate that Annii comes every 5-6 weeks and I don't have to do much in between.

My neighbour had so many hassles with farriers that she now has a trimmer (and her mare has come sound through it) but then her last farrier did bite her horse....

Def. good and bad in all schools - we just seem to have very few farriers full stop!

MTA I think EPs etc, tend to have higher travel costs as they seem to cover bigger areas  - I guess a farrier still tneds to get the bulk of the hoof work so can probably keep their area quite small and often do lots on one yard.
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:42:51 PM by lisaNW »

Offline Larri DB

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • Larri's pastel portrait page at New rider
    « Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 10:48:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • More crap farrier stories that I have time to tell - one even worse EP one followed by an extremely evasive second EP one - I guess my business is tainted after I "told" on one of them :rolleyes: (please cue a two fingered salute smiley right *here*).....although the fact that the farrier who made such a lovely job of Safi's one and only shoeing then forgot to trim one hoof entirely on her very last trim...well, almost takes the prize for the hoofcare practitioner of the year award :-\ :rolleyes: :wall:

I'm now using an extremely reliable, brilliantly knowledgeable and so far faultless in the timing, handling and trimming department-UKNHCP :db:
    Larri...not an Essex Gal really!

Dancing with Bailarina Blog

Offline Claire

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
      • http://myfifthhorse.blogspot.com/
    « Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 05:41:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • my previous farrier put his trim prices up because of the prices trimmers were charging.. but still only 20 for all 4 feet.  he retired, and i now have the chap he trained... not such a satisfactory experience in terms of ability to discuss etc, but same price.

now molly is happy to pick her feet up, i might take him up on his offer to show me how to trim....but then again, my back might not let me....

farrier i had before i moved here was very good as a farrier, but didn't know what a diary was and i think still doesn't, but i'd have him again like a shot if he could only work out where Durham was (he thinks the world ends in north Durham, and 10 miles down the road is foreign land...)

Offline Cloud_cirrus

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think you get good and bad in all areas, personally I like someone that is reliable, communicative, patient (with horse and owner) and doesn't make me feel like there is somewhere else they would much prefer to be.

By the same token I am sure they prefer owners to be present, a clean dry area to work in with a horse that has been trained for them to handle (appropriate to their age of course) and with clean dry feet.

I do know a semi-retired farrier in the Marlborough area, he is good on the patient front, not fantastic on the reliable front although once you get hold of him to book he turns up, it's getting hold of him to book that can be interesting!!

Through the death of my old excellant farrier, and the ill health of the subsequent one, and a horse with last-chance-saloon-feet, we went the barefoot route and now trim ourselves.  Trouble is my OH now expects me to provide the clean dry feet, be a mind reader about what tools he wants me to pass him and expects me to provide him with copious cans of diet coke and chocolate hmm.........

It is possible to learn to do interim trims yourself and a good hoof care practitioner should encourage you to learn to do this.

TashaKat

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • I think you get good and bad in all areas, personally I like someone that is reliable, communicative, patient (with horse and owner) and doesn't make me feel like there is somewhere else they would much prefer to be.

By the same token I am sure they prefer owners to be present, a clean dry area to work in with a horse that has been trained for them to handle (appropriate to their age of course) and with clean dry feet.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I have to stick up for the EPAUK trimmers that I've seen, they've been, without exception, excellent in their knowlege and trimming, fantastic with the horse (and inquisitive owner  :laugh:) and pretty good time wise too  :nod: :nod: :nod:

visconde

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »
  • Publish

• By the same token I am sure they prefer owners to be present, a clean dry area to work in with a horse that has been trained for them to handle (appropriate to their age of course) and with clean dry feet.

and owners who pay up!

Offline whisper's mum

• EE-Site Moderator
    « Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • I should probably touch wood here but I seem to found a great farrier.  :-\ He only charged 15 a horse and apart from not enough of a roll, I honestly can't see any major difference from the barefoot trims they had - certainly better than my attempts!! He was very kind an dpatient with the horses and they stood for him - they used to play the trimmer up something chronic.  :-[ He was 15mins late but was across the road drinking tea.  :laugh:
    Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've got a fab farrier, who also habitually turns up early, but is happy to sit and wait if I'm not there early.    He has worked Minnie out beautifully and she him (ie she behaves  ;)), shoes her well (she now has heels for the first time in 4 years which includes 3 years barefoot trimmed).

He turns up on the day although he does have the tendency to be early.
    [/b]

***thud****

Oh and Mandeigh, he's Scottish, but definitely keeping him way down south!!!  :dev:

I also had 3 years with a KC DAEP trimming Minnie and have to say he was equally as reliable and did a good job.
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline Jes

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • My trimmer charges 25, always turns up on time, or early, always texts me to confirm when she's coming, spends as much time as she needs with my horse, is always available if I'm worried about something and is brilliant with my horse, who loves her to bits! :db:

SNC

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
  • Publish

• Offline Tabitha

• Joined-May
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »
  • Publish
  • I don't understand why people let one 'bad' farrier give them the right to make out that all farriers are bad  :laugh: its ridiculous.

I agree - but having spent the last week looking at the feet of the other horses on the yard in the hope that one might be shod nicely enough to persuade me to use their farrier... it's not looking hopeful. So I guess I try and work out what's more important to me... a decent foot and shoe or unreliability and high prices.  If he's happy to do the horse without me on site then the unreliability is not so much of an issue as long as my horse's feet don't get too long in between shoeing, but I personally prefer to be there and know he would too...

Oh well, I'll keep searching for now.