Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Attitudes of farriers?  (Read 12179 times)

Offline Tabitha

• Joined-May
  • Expired Membership
Attitudes of farriers?
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've never really had a problem with my old farrier, but I had to change mine about 18 months ago and have been struggling to find one I really like.

The farrier I have at the moment does a lovely job, but is completely unreliable in terms of turning up.  Not just on time (I realise they live in some sort of wierd world world where time is elastic) but actually turning up in the first place.  I book him every time he comes in advance of his next appointment, but I still find my '6 weeks' to end up being stretched to 7, and in one case as much as 9 weeks.

I'm sorry, but in my book this isn't on... not only from the personal inconvenience of having to reschedule work and home life commitments but also the fact that it is my horse's feet that suffer.  Plus I'm getting tired of the ridicudlous excuses - he always comes up with far fetched stories about his car being stolen, his brother in hospital, his dog dying and so on.  Once, twice possibly even the third time I could say he was just unfortunate, but every time? (My sympathy is running out - I suppose he could really have a lot of cars, dogs andbrothers  :dev:)

Anyway, am I being unrealistic to expect a decent farrier with whom I can discuss the balance and shape of my horse's feet, and who will take the time to shoe young horses well and who turns up on the day he's booked - or at least one or two days either side?  I've been told that all farriers are like it especially around me as the racing industry is their first port of call for work, and if so then I miss my 'old traditional' chap that used to be my farrier and wish he hadn't retired.

But if not, and the above is areasonable expectation, can anyone recommend one that would cover the Swindon/Marlborough area?

Offline thegaffer

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Attitudes of farriers?
    « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi,

I recommend having no shoes, therefore no farrier :dev:  My horse's podiatrist was stuck in traffic today, so text to say he would be late and hoped it didn't cause inconvenience, then text a while later to say how long he would be, then on arrival was so apologetic.  Also this will be the first winter without shoes, so no more disappointment when I fetch him in and he's lost one and no begging phone call's to the farrier.  :db: 

visconde

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • my farrier is very good, totally reliable, always within 30mins of when he says he'll be there and doesnt charge to put on 'lost' shoes. we do have alot of his clients at the yard though so he's there weekly pretty much.
    you've every right to expect good service :)

Offline DollysMum

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    • Mum to Kai, RIP Dolly xxx
    « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • That is shocking! And no, I wouldn't stand for it. Are there any other farriers that regularly visit your yard that you could use?

My farrier is fantastic and I'm already dreading the day he retires as I don't know a single other farrier as good as he is...am just hoping that the day he retires, he passes me on to someone he recommends who will do as good a job as he does, be as reliable, and as friendly and able to explain what he's doing and why.

Offline Greybaby

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hmm, that seems to be the general attitude by me too  :angry:
    (my friend regularly goes knocking on her farrier's door to find out why he has not turned up because he then doesn't answer the phone  :rolleyes:)

However, the farrier I use is very reliable time-wise, which is why we have stuck with him and his team for over 15 years!!
    Recently however I have not been completely happy with the way he is trimming, I don't think he is paying the proper attention to what is just '2 trims' when he has big yards to go to. (Seems like what you gain in one department you lose in another with farriers  :sad:)

I agree with the comment about podiatrists, the trimmer I use for my riding mare (I use a trimmer because her feet have to do so much more than the other horses at the moment) is fantastic, again she will phone/text if she is running late and keeps you updated as to how long she'll be. She also spends as much time as is needed to trim a horse who was initially very scared having her feet handled. I would really like to use her for all three, but as she is twice the cost of the farrier I am struggling to justify it for two horses that only walk hack around the lanes once or twice a week! ;)

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • 4 let downs by my farrier at the last minute, including my boy having a foot abscess, and he told me to get the vet to come and take the shoe off, aye right ...and I picked up a rasp and learned to trim myself....and that was 7 years ago, never looked back. I wouldn't have a farrier near my boys.
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline Greybaby

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • 4 let downs by my farrier at the last minute, including my boy having a foot abscess, and he told me to get the vet to come and take the shoe off, aye right ...and I picked up a rasp and learned to trim myself....and that was 7 years ago, never looked back. I wouldn't have a farrier near my boys.

Very sensible, I am considering going this route myself. I just need to find enough time to learn how to do it properly: working, studying for a degree, a house renovation and three horses don't leave much spare time (or inclination) to learn ANOTHER new trick  :whistle: :laugh:

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • Very sensible, I am considering going this route myself. I just need to find enough time to learn how to do it properly: working, studying for a degree, a house renovation and three horses don't leave much spare time (or inclination) to learn ANOTHER new trick  :whistle: :laugh:

You know that old one about necessity being the mother of invention  :whistle: :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

visconde

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • I don't understand why people let one 'bad' farrier give them the right to make out that all farriers are bad  :laugh: its ridiculous.
    and why exactly are EPs so expensive?

Offline Wendy

• Joined-November
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • Strangely enough I've only ever been let down by a barefoot trimmer. He would regularly turn up 3-4 hours late - or not at all.

Farriers I have had have been fine for timing. If there's an alternative I would drop him - and tell him why! I would take Mandleigh's suggestion with caution - she is being flippant about it but it is a long hard road she has chosen and not for the feint hearted.

But don't be afraid to have a word with him about it - calmly  :laugh:.
    "A straight horse isn't a horse without bending, but a horse that uses his four legs to step forward in the direction of movement.''
    Gustav Steinbrecht (18081885)

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ahem...one bad farrier.....try living up here  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I often wondered if evasion tactics were taught as part of their course......certainly customer care skills arn't.    :laugh:

Are EPs expensive?  What are they charging then?

Moray,Scotland

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:04 AM »
  • Publish
    I would take Mandeigh's suggestion with caution - she is being flippant about it but it is a long hard road she has chosen and not for the feint hearted.
    not to mention pretty hard on the old back when you have three to do, especially when one is not particularly cooperative. :whistle:

Moray,Scotland

visconde

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • EP's are twice as much for a trim so ~50. we do have alot of farriers around here :) I know its alot of hard work and personally dont have the time or inclination to micro manage my horses feet-they are also hacked, alot. my farrier is also good at trimming, no long toes etc that you sometimes see.

Offline Mandeigh

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • Criky 50!  thats what my shod horses used to cost me.

One of the girls at our yard gets a trimmer 'swiss school' I think thats the new name for Dan Guerrara's stuff and she charges 35.

I've grown quite foot obsessed now...I'm not sure thats heathly!  :laugh:

Moray,Scotland

TashaKat

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ahem...one bad farrier.....try living up here  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I often wondered if evasion tactics were taught as part of their course......certainly customer care skills arn't.    :laugh

Same here, even the 'good' farrier that everyone raves about I wouldn't have within a million miles of her feet, he's obviously never heard of underrun heels!

I pay double to my (wonderful) trimmer that I paid to my ex farrier but the difference is a 40 minute trim as opposed to 5 minutes (because he used to race with his apprentice!), a BALANCED trim which I didn't get with the farrier and someone who will give advice on the whole rather than just expecting me to take their word as law!  My trimmer will answer my questions, give explanations as to what she's done and tell me if anything needs to be changed with her diet for example.

Personally, and with my experience of farriers in this area, I would be loathe to go back to a farrier now.