Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Road studs  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Roo

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Road studs
« on: May 04, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Does any one use them?    :-\   I'm thinking of getting them fitted next time my boy is shod as he's slipping on some of the steep lanes we now have to hack out on.

Thanks 
      :hug:  Roo

Offline laura D

• Expired Membership
    Re: Road studs
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Do you mean anti-slip nails? e.g. nails with a tungsten core?

Or actual studs that you screw in?

Offline happy-horses

• Joined-July
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • I used to work for a driving team who did lots of road work, they all had road nails all round - its hard to put studs on driving horses as they can easliy tread on each other, the road nails were a good alternative. Need to bear in mind if you do alot of road work the grippy bit wears down quickly  :wave:

Offline Peaches

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Other thing to be aware of with road nails is that it's like having perminant small stud in; if your horse is likely to overreach or knock at all you'll need to boot up perminantly, and that if your horse paws the ground a lot or similar, you might have issues in lorry/trailer or stable if its rubber matted.

They can be great but there are downsides to them. My fella isn't an issue with cutting himself with the studs, but we can't use them anymore as he was too damaging to our rubber matted lorry floor with them when he got impatient!  :rolleyes:

Offline Roo

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks I meant road nails.  I hadn't thought about the issue of him pawing the ground as he tends to do that if he gets impatient.
      :hug:  Roo

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:32:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I used to have road nails fitted to my mare always and they really helped on slippy bits of road.

Then she went barefoot which was fantastic, as no slipping.

Sadly now back in shoes for injury reasons and she can't have road nails either due to the risk of pressure on her tendon injury, so its horrible being back slipping on the roads - luckily we don't do that much road riding.
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline Julea

• Joined-April
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:46:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • A friend of mine had those fitted, they did good punture wounds on the other horses her horse was turned out with. Not sure they can be good for the horses either as it musy be like wearing very low stilletoes ?

Offline Liza

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • It's years since I had a horse shod but when I did my farrier bonded a surface to the actual shoe to prevent slipping.  Can't remember what it was called though :doh:  Something like "road sure"??

Time is what the horse needs most and your patience is the most precious gift you can give
    Isabella Sontag

Liz, Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons, Powys

Offline Melody1

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have used road nails for the last 3 years and wouldnt be without them as the roads around here are awful to ride on with no grip at all, and do about 30 miles a week in summer. I havent had any problems with injuries from them, even though Melody used to enjoy pawing at the ground  :doh:, but she doesnt do that much now that she has started spanish walk  ;). The ends do shear off if the hoof twists as it hits the ground, we used to manage 3 weeks before the back nails had lost their grip but now that she has strengthened up behind she puts her feet down better so they lasted 8 weeks the last time. I have also used small studs behind that stayed in all the time, with no problem but wouldnt use them long term.

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Um I used to have road studs or road nails put in my driving ponies shoes, but once I found out that they could cause  serious injury I stopped using them, the trouble is they grip the road and 'hold' not allowing 'proper' movement.

I was advised by quite a well known driving man to use small studs, but these 'hold' far more than the road nails, so can cause damage in the long term, so  I took him barefoot and used boots instead, ..He never ever slipped again!. 

Another problem is that if the horse kicks another horse the damage caused can be awful.

Boots over metal shoes is one option, but what a fafffffffffff

Offline Peaches

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • Despite my reservations I've just had to give in to having road studs on due to using very slippy eggbars on a horse in work whilst recouperating from injury (hence eggbars as apposed to normal shoes). I'm looking into epona shoes as an alternative for anti-slip at present, as really don't want road nails on...Maybe worth a look?