Rosie (my 18yo SecDx) came in lame last weekend - on further investigation I found a sharp stone stuck in her foot. Removed it and she was sound.
But it was no surprise when my YM called me to tell me when she had turned her out she was lame on it (about 2 days after the stone) and with some heat in the foot around the coronet. I planned to call the farrier but by the time I got there in the evening she had a puffy soft lump on the coronet with heat in just the immediate area and seemed more comfy on the foot so I decided to leave it till the morning as I suspected it was going to blow at the coronet. Following morning the puffy lump had a dimple in it so asked YM to keep an eye on it.
Anyway that evening she seemed completely sound on it, no puffy lump, no heat nothing so I assumed it had blown - only thing is I can't find an exit!
I am pleased she is sound on it and YM feels that later when the foot grows we will find a split where it blew out. But I would have thought I would have been able to find the exit?
Sooooo could it have blown somewhere I haven't spotted or has her body just dealt with it? Bit worried it is still there and will start brewing again (knowing my luck on Christmas day!
The vet is out to give her a jab on Tuesday so if I am worried I will get them to have a look but I really don't want them to dig a hole in her foot unnecessarily!
Any advice? All abscesses I have dealt with before have been seeing splits afterwards where the horse didn't seem to go lame (or if she did it was quick and while I was at work in the day or overnight!) or the 'on three legs' lame and needing the farrier to take the shoe off and find it (only once previously with mai where the hole he dug was teeny, bless him) and poulticing.
Grateful for any advice - just waiting and seeing for now!