Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: to shoe or not to shoe that is the tripping question  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
to shoe or not to shoe that is the tripping question
« on: October 21, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • One of the fights that I had with my mum before I moved away from home was about farriers...WHY is a good farrier so hard to come by???

The yard where I board has a really NICE farrier, I really like her personality and how she is patient with the horses, however, I get frustrated with several things

I ask that my horses be done every month. Esp my barefoot horses as Rose and esp Dan grow feet so fast that damage occurs if they arent trimmed monthly She often runs out of time and because other horses need done worse than mine they get put on the back burner....then they chip or develop huge cracks or something awful...there is a reason I want them done every month...THEY NEED it and I want to prevent problems. She does listen when I tell her something about my horses traveling and bless her she HAS been trying...but the time thing really bothers me. But she is so nice I dont want to hurt her feelings, or worse, need her later on but she doesnt want to do my horses feet because she is angry with me.

Mae is having her old problems again...Tripping while shod, lame when barefoot.

Tripping is scary. The farrier tried to put a wedge on Mae's one foot (I think the right) but I could tell already that it was doing bad things to her heel as I was afraid that it would.

I measured Mae for boots the other day, then began thinking again. Ii shoes make her trip...Will Boots? if it is a trimming problem not just a shoeing problem she will continue to trip and have problems.

Barefoot does not seem to work with her although my other 2 seem fine with it. I just am loosing so much time riding her, not to mention fretting, or the pain she is in...and what about long term damage to my horse? I would feel awful if something happened to her that could have been prevented by having a different farrier.

I noted the other day that one foot was _1"_ shorter than the other one, granted she did just rip her shoes off and damage her feet, but I also noted she was seriously standing on her sole, her hoof wall was completely shorter all around than her sole. She is also landing toe first with walking...she is to uncomfortable to trot right now.

I feel woefully ignorant about feet and lameness issues, adn have bought a book to learn some more, but how about you hoof guru's?

I was thinking I would use the I want them done on an absolute schedule thing so I got a different farrier excuse...

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline Cloud_cirrus

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    Re: to shoe or not to shoe that is the tripping question
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:05:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • You know my thoughts on shoes :) What I would want to know is why are your horses being put to one side being trimmed to prioritise other horses?  Surely if you are paying for them to be trimmed then this should be booked in and they done every four weeks like you ask?

Regular trimming could make a world of difference to your guys.

With Mae and boots, depending on the type of boots you go for, then she may still trip.  However she may also become more comfortable to the point that the boots help her be more comfortable without boots/shoes (does that make sense?).

Can you hire some hoof boots from somewhere to try them out?

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    Re: to shoe or not to shoe that is the tripping question
    « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ditto Tracey's comments.  You are the customer, if you want your horses trimmed or shod, they should be done.  I don't know how it works at your barn, but if you have a few horses, I would get the farrier booked personally, just for your horses and not be one of the crowd.

Good regular footcare is vital, whether shod or unshod.  Balance starts to change as soon as the farrier/trimmer leaves the horse.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset