Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: adjustable tree saddles  (Read 1796 times)

winnieandben

adjustable tree saddles
« on: July 28, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Following on from discussion on my blog, I would like to know what makes of saddle have truly adjustable trees.

I know that Keifer saddles can be heated and changed (is it up to a 100 times or something  :cc_confused:)

Trish has mentioned Hennig can you get them over here?

Also how much can the tree be altered is it just in width? so you still need a saddle with the right shape tree for the horse right??

Help please  :laugh:

Just to add my horse is croup high, has a long back her back is wide and flat but she does have a decent wither which is long and thick, she also has big shoulders  :laugh: and one very slightly more developed than the other. :rolleyes: so not the easiest to fit.

Offline laura D

• EE Society Member
    Re: adjustable tree saddles
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 03:38:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • Prestige saddles can be adjusted too i believe

Offline happy-horses

• Joined-July
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • I believe Frank Baines saddles can be altered for something like 80pound and the tree changed for 200. I can't remember where I read that I'm afaid.....

Offline Wendy

• Joined-June
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • The Semiflex just flexes with the horse so no adjustment needed.  ;)
    "A straight horse isn't a horse without bending, but a horse that uses his four legs to step forward in the direction of movement.''
    Gustav Steinbrecht (18081885)

Offline mrsmurchin

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Wow saddles are completely adjustable and they have Flair flocking so can be adjusted for asymmetric muscle development.
    Yorkshire lass living in yellowbelly land!

Offline Cloud_cirrus

• Joined-June
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Saddle Company are adjustable.  Most saddles are adjustable to a degree, Kay Humphries did quite a bit of work on a Black Country for me and I know that Barnsby are pretty good at making adjustments and re-treeing.  Most saddle fitters don't mention it becuase they often want to sell you a new saddle.

In my opinion a correctly fitted treed saddle should be able to accommodate seasonal fluctuations on the same horse, unless something really significant happens.  And a good saddle fitter will be able to predict what musculature changes will happen with a correctly fitted saddle and shim accordingly until this happens.  I think the Balance saddle fitters are particularly good at that and I also found a good Saddle Company fitter that fitted on those principles.

flintfootfilly

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • FreenEasy saddles are adjustable.  They are the flat panel saddles, and are adjusted using a couple of spanners.  You can alter the gullet width around the withers, and the angle around the withers, and also the height at the back of the saddle.  It's the kind of adjustment you'd do for one horse and then alter it again if need be in a few months time.  But you wouldn't alter them on the same day to ride a different horse.

Frank Baines will ease their trees to a wider fitting, but cannot make the tree narrower again.  They have a downloadable template form which they use to work out what width of saddle is right for your horse.

sarah

Offline Mossy

• joined-May
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Another vote for SC saddles. Con's went in and out faster than a fiddler's elbow when she was younger. Now i can manage with twice yearly checking and assorted gel pads.
    Mossy

What am I, that one so big and powerful as you should trust me and do my bidding?

winnieandben

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks everyone  :db:  Will have a look at Saddle Company to start with as they are a bit more affordable  :nod:

Offline Roz

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • Am currently the owner of 3 SC saddles  :-\!

They are built on an injection moulded plastic tree (Tree-tec) which come with a ten year guarantee.  Fitters who fit SC saddles (but are independent) have a templating machine in the back of their car so they can adjust the tree whilst at your yard to fit your saddle.  It only takes a few minutes to narrow or widen the saddle and it doesn't spring back.  My fitter even used it on my new Ideal saddle!

There are always SC saddles for sale on Ebay, i've picked up a number on there and they were all in excellent condition and didn't cost me more than 250 each!

Offline shoveltrash

• EE Society Member
    « Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • troll Ebay! :nod:
    find something second hand and you'll save alot of money ;).  that's what i did!
    to add to the Hennig, i believe that Schleese saddles are also completely adjustable?  (altho cost prohibitive, similar to Hennigs).  there is a UK Hennig fitter.....but i know absolutely nothing about his reputation.  his site does offer a free consultation. http://www.e-saddler.co.uk/products/hennig/hennig.htm
    Trish - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

"If we are conscientious, beautiful roses can grow from the manure of our recognized and corrected mistakes."
    Erik Herbermann

winnieandben

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks for the link Trish, really interesting saddles  :db:

Offline Larri DB

• Joined-August
    • EE Society Member
      • Larri's pastel portrait page at New rider
    « Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Have you seen the Barnsby APS saddles? I quite fancy the look of these myself! http://www.barnsby.com/products/saddles-aps-dressage-saddle/default.asp
    Larri...not an Essex Gal really!

Dancing with Bailarina Blog

winnieandben

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Larri  :db: They look good  :nod: