Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Very interesting article on working deep and round...  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
Re: Very interesting article on working deep and round...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thakns Sarah,

I hadnt looked at Sustainable Dressage lately, and hugely admire Teresa Sandin for her brave stand against rollkur, for which she has had to withstand a lawsuit, and still is fighting back. The article looks typically well researched, just glancing through it, and I look forward to printing it off and reading it later- on mucking out duty, Laura's day off and tomorrow as she didnt get one off last week with me being away teaching in Holland.

Heather

Offline treez

• Expired Membership
    • Recado
    « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »
  • Publish
  • Really good article, thanks.

issywizz

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:44:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Gawd its long!!!
    Im up to this part of it now which is really interesting although a little scary as it shows just how many ways there are to mess up our poor horses!!
    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/rollkur/behind_the_vertical.php

Offline Claire

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
      • http://myfifthhorse.blogspot.com/
    « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • always worth dipping into that website, which i have bookmarked...

Offline Heather

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well I have printed it off and read it, and it is not only interesting but totally brilliant!! I am moving this to Classical and pinning it- thanks for bringing it to attention, Sarah! :db:

Heather

issywizz

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Heather,it certainly occupied most of my morning!
    It was actually posted on BD by Catherine The Norty  :laugh: Very timely I think given all the recent discussion over deep and round and what is correct and most importantly *why*.  :nod:

Offline Jenny

• EET level 3
    • EE Member
    « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • I would highly recommend looking through the whole site  :db: All her articles are very well written and researched
    I care not so much what I am to others as what I am to myself. I will be rich by myself, and not by borrowing.
    (Montaigne)

Offline Mossy

• joined-May
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • Teresa Sandin has had her website for some years and has always said the same thing. In this country Gillian Higgins demonstrates the biomechanics of movement with her painted horse, so why do the "great and good" not listen!!!
    Mossy

What am I, that one so big and powerful as you should trust me and do my bidding?

Offline Heather

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yes I have corresponded with Theresa in the past, Mossy, just hadnt been to the site of late, and Sarah has reminded me to do so!!

Heather

issywizz

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Why would they listen Mossy?
    If rollkur gets you an Olympic gold then who has the right to say its wrong?
    Thats the biggest problem imo-somehow these horse torturers have got to the top of the tree and nobody on the lower branches either dares to speak up or is listened to when they do.
    The judges seem to be of the opinion that they cant mark whats done outside the arena and somehow the guidelines or the judging itself seems not to work against it but quite the opposite in fact.
    Ive read the whole lot now and I am just so depressed that the competition world seems to be so far down this route as to be unsalvageable.  :cry: :cry:

Offline Heather

• Administrator
    « Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 05:27:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • Isnt it shocking that the very top riders are the worst perpetrators though, Sarah? What an example to set to the grass roots riders, and especially those who try to copy badly, although I cannot imagine any worse 'copying' than the photos in the article and others on HFL for instance. How could they get any worse, short of the horse actually somehow embedding his entire lower jaw in his neck? :angry:

Now you see why so many of us are so disillusioned with competition and what it stands for nowadays. Reading Von Neindorff's book about his competition days, how far down the drain has competition gone since then? I would happily compete, if I could go back to those halcyon days when classical riding was an art as well as a sport, that the horses were truly 'happy athletes'. How the modern dressage riders consider that the sport has 'progressed', words, for once fail me. 'Regressed' is more like it. :cry:

Heather

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • EE-Site Staff
    « Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
  • Publish
       If rollkur gets you an Olympic gold then who has the right to say its wrong?

then its not the riders at fault.....its the judges!
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

issywizz

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • That is exactly the worst aspect of it Heather,I said myself about the deep and round work on the other thread that I was confused as the horses were top level and appeared supple,elastic and relaxed.
    If I hadnt already had it burnt into my brain by Erik then I may well have gone off and started getting B nice and 'round' as I had been told to do by two of our Olympic riders.Thankfully as it was I have Andrew to advise me,plus folks on here to discuss with, and looked into it some more for myself with the help of Catherine.
    But what about everybody else who is being told by their own trainers to do this? along with tightening the darned nosebands? Ffs does nobody think theres an issue when you need great thick padding under your noseband?  :sad:
    Perhaps it is the judges Mandeigh,but it could equally well the the judging criteria that unintentionally leaves itself open to such abuse,I dont know enough to know where the problem lies,but it is a bloody BIG problem.  :cry:

TashaKat

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Excellent article, thank you  :db:

I used to go on Teresa's site a lot so it's good to be reminded :D