Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Reins Slipping Through Fingers  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Wendy

• Joined-June
  • Expired Membership
Reins Slipping Through Fingers
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:47:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have real problems stopping the reins from slipping through my fingers while schooling which means I'm for ever adjusting them and losing the contact. Do you have any suggestions how I can get into the habbit of keeping my hands closed? Does anyone have experience of using nubuck reins, would they help?
    "A straight horse isn't a horse without bending, but a horse that uses his four legs to step forward in the direction of movement.''
    Gustav Steinbrecht (18081885)

Offline redbloom

• http://
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • hi, I had this prob also on smooth leather reains, try using those woven reins with the little leather stops every 2 or so inches...have found these much better, as find can settle fingers over a stop and have a point of reference instead of contstantly giving taking reins as they slip through fingers!!!

Cobstar

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:56:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Also try think about having a constant feel between thumb and forefinger to maintain a constant rein length - and then use the remainder of your fingers to give the rein aid.  

franklin

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:04:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • I cured this problem with children I used to teach. I asked the parent to give the child a coin and then if the child kept their fingers closed they could keep it.
    Fantastic never a dropped coin!!!!.
    Is your horse pulling? hence slipping reins.
    I have a problem my self with a neck injury and I have to hold the reins under my little finger instead of between little finger and the next, otherwise it slips through.
    Jenny

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • EE-Site Staff
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:30:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • I used to have a problem with this in leather reins.....I always wear gloves (winter and summer) now and I use rubber reins,.....now they no longer slip through my fingers
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline Wendy

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • I like the idea of holding a coin - I'll give it a go.  I have the problem with both rubber and continental reins and with both horses I ride regularly. I'm getting some knotted ones so maybe that will help.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    "A straight horse isn't a horse without bending, but a horse that uses his four legs to step forward in the direction of movement.''
    Gustav Steinbrecht (18081885)

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 05:56:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • I know exactly how you feel.  When you're not sure what you should be doing with your reins, the temptation to fiddle is just too much, and I was the world's worst, and the world's worst worrier as well!

The Libby's synthetic reins with rubber undersides pretty much cured me - at least, of worrying.  They're lovely and light to hold - not a great fistful like ordinary rubber reins; also, I found the ones with stops made me fiddle even more because I was always counting to see if I had the same number of stops in one hand as the other!

The Libby's don't slip even if the horse/reins are wet through.  That illiminates any *unnecessary* fiddling, which means that you can afford to allow your hands to be purposely a bit "mobile" as I think Reiner Klimke would have put it.

Offline Mossy

• joined-May
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:54:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • I find the secret is the grip between first finger and thumb. if that is tight then the fingers can relax, and the reins don't slip.
    Mossy

What am I, that one so big and powerful as you should trust me and do my bidding?