Author Topic: Elevator/comfort Bridles  (Read 4157 times)

Offline sarasfly

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »
I had my chiro out on Friday to treat Meridian.  He has had ongoing problems with his pelvis and lack of muscle on one side of his back.  Fortunately this problem is now almost resolved and his pelvis is almost back in line.

However, she found that he was quite out around what she called his "atlas" which when pointed out to me looked to be near his poll.  She had arrived a little early this day and was able to watch me ride him for the last ten minutes of a schooling session, where he was being walked over poles placed randomly aroun the school in an attempt to get him to focus on the job in hand, rather than all the "spooky" things around the edge of the school.  :o  She commented on the fact that he pulls at the reins to get away from the contact and suggested that it may be due to the problems around the poll area.

Taking this on board, and having accidentally come across the "Elevator Bridle" only the day before, asked her if this might help.  She said it may well do as they are supposed to reduce the pressure in this area.

Soooooo.  I am considering buying one.  But, the original Elevator is very expensive.  I just wondered if anyone else uses one and what their experinces of them are, or if anyone can suggest alternatives.  I am happy to try it if if works for him, but would like to find out a bit more info before I spend that much on something.

Hoping you can help!  :blush:

Sara

Offline Murphysmum

• http://community.webshots.com/user/murphysmum
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:31:31 PM »
There are cheep alternatives about, but I do not think they are as good or well made as the original.

On the other hand Heather did mention a while ago, that there was an EE bridle in the pipeline, I wonder what is happening with that?  :rolleyes:  
Anne. Near Rugby, Middle England.

Nobility without pride, friendship without envy, beauty without vanity.

Offline sarasfly

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »
Heather

How is the possible in the pipeline going?

Sara

Offline Funky MeerKAT

• http://
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 08:55:31 PM »
My bridles are not elevator ones, but are special ones that a local lady makes that reduce poll pressure and they are brilliant, you can sort of see it on Mate in my "Finally got my Fhoenix" thread.

But what you can do to reduce poll pressure with your normal bridle is thread the noseband over the top of the head piece rather than under it, you may have to fiddle a bit to get it sitting right, and it will depend on how your bridle is made as to whether the nose band sits infront of or behind the cheek pieces. I find this works really well.
Anna
Hawkes Bay, New Zealand

In the mirror of another being, we see a reflection of ourselves.

Offline sarasfly

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 08:58:16 PM »
Thanks.

I will try and see if I can jiggle my bridle about a bit when I ride tommorow, to see if it makes any difference.

Sara

Offline pintopiaffe

• http://www.innisfailte.com
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »
You can use simple padding for a halter crown to see if it's going to work.

I can safely say Mac really *prefers* his padded crownpieces.  I have simple PVC waffle sleeves which came on padded halters.  I just slip over the regular crownpiece.  

You can get cashel crownpieces fairly inexpensively.  Quite cushy.

Even just a piece of sheepskin tucked under there is going to at least tell you if the horse notices a difference.

Certainly I'd try one of those before spending as much on a bridle as I've spent on some horses!  
"We have them" he said "to learn from. And some lessons are easier than others. You ride, and you enjoy them, and you make mistakes. We all make mistakes. But you do your best and you work hard, and you make as few as you can." [/size][/font]

Offline lmevans

• freedom is hairy and has hooves
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
Firstly, am I right in thinking that the elevator is the one with the nose band headpiece going through the bit headpiece and lying on top of it at the poll with a padded crown to the bit nearest the horse???  if not then the rest of this is irrelevant! if it is right, then read on.....

Noosa was a compulsive ear shaker when I bought her a year ago, any time I put on her bridle or a halter / head collar of any kind, she would immediately shake her head from side to side waggling her ears and mane around. She didn't do it til the thing was on, and once she'd had her shake she was fine and dandy, but every time - she would have to shake. Also, once finished riding or whatever, she would demand her bridle off ASAP, and would rub her ears on whatever she was tied to as soon as it was off. She was also quite 'grabby' with the bit when ridden, even though she is quite scared of her mouth and is happiest with the gentlest of contacts. She would grab and pull at the reins from time to time, even if I was already on the buckle. To be fair, she had been in a dutch gag that was too narrow for her mouth before I bought her, and I changed it immediately for a french link baucher (AKA drop or hanging cheek) snaffle, which helped with the rein snatching thing. I examined her bridel on her very carefully and decided it was ever so slightly too narrow across her head - ie. pulling in too tight behind her ears, which are pretty big and bulbous too. She already had an extra full size bridle, so I had to measure every dimension of it and go round the tack shops with a tape measure trying to find something bigger! Eventually, came across an Ebay seller who had 'fake' elevator bridles, made by Heritage, in nice english leather with the padding etc. I wrote to her with Noosa's measurements and asked her to please measure the XF size one to see if it would be big enough. It was in some aspects but not in others, so the dear sweet lovely lady offered to buy in another brand that she sometimes had (Rhinegold) and measure that for me too. She ended up specially ordering two XF elevator style bridles in for me and hybridising them together to make a bridle that fits perfectly. All this service only cost me 45 quid. The bridle is lovely, good leather, nice and soft padding, fits like a dream, and Noosa had steadily reduced the head shaking and rein grabbing behaviour. Now she only shakes on one out of four or five bridling attempts, and not at all in her headcollar, and she only rubs her ears after a ride if we've been out a while and they are sweaty.

The lady with the Ebay shop is called Lisa Wild AND SHE'S LOVELY!  just in case she ever sees this ! :P   I am chuffed to bits with my bridle and the bargain price only goes to help!

hopefully pic atttached, but not sure if its the right format or not....

Lucie xx
EET covering Dorset and Hampshire

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:59:15 AM »
I have the Elevator bridle and love it, so does my mare.    My sister's head shaking gelding has been 110% better since changing to an Elevator.

Having said that a friend as the much cheaper Comfort version (may be the same as the Heritage not sure?) which she bought from Ebay and to be honest there isn't enough difference between this cheaper version and the Elevator to make me buy an Elevator again.    I would definitely get the cheaper one.
Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

nix

Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »
Hi Sara

Did you chiro treat the poll? I looked after a lovely mare, Blossom, who had extreme poll problems and would headshake and take the reins down every time she was ridden. We tried comfort bridles, removing the browband and sheepskin covers which helped to a small degree.

What really helped her was to have manipulation under sedation, developed and carried out by Jenny Hadland MCSP SRP Grad. Dip. Phys., a chartered physiotherapist and an 'A' category member of ACPAT. Jenny felt that it was a chronic problem which had been caused by past trauma.

I don't imagine that Meridian's problems are that bad, but wanted to share Bloss' poll story with you  :).

Offline sarasfly

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 12:36:12 PM »
Lots to take in there!

Lucie, it sounds like the problems you were having are similar to those I have been experiencing.  He was started in a dutch gag on the bottom ring (why I have no clue! :ouch: ), I then changed this to a lozenge loose ring snaffle but he still did not seem happy.  He now goes in a Myler comfprt snaffle and he seems happy with this.  Having explored the options, the type of bridle you show is the one I am considering.  I will try and find the lady on Ebay, especially as you say the bridle is good quality, and M has an odd sized head and it would be great to have one "made to measure"!  :lol:

Nix, the chiro did treat his poll and is coming back in three weeks to do it again.  All his problems are on his right side and she suggests that it is possible in the past that he has either been hit on top of the head or turned over backwards.  He has been quite badly treated in the past.  It might be worth considering a treatment under sedation, especially if things are not improved after the next visit.  He was much better to ride today, much straighter and definitely more forward going.  I managed to get the noseband over the top of the headpiece and he hardly pulled at the reins at all.

Chrissie, good to hear the cheaper equivalents are as good.

Thanks all for your input!

Sara

Caro&Ruari

Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:06:18 PM »
My boy is much happier in an Elevator - he curls down away from very little poll pressure but in the Elevator he is much happier to go with the poll as the highest point with a very steady head carriage.

That said, my friend bought a Comfort bridle which was virtually indistinguishable from the elevator and has been used with equal success.  

As a short term fix, a prolite pad (the type made for the back of crank nosebands) under the headpiece might work???

Offline GeneralPouchka

• Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »
Ive got the Albion Comfort bridle (cant remember the correct name).  I know it was expensive but it was supposed to be for competitions only and also it was the only dressage bridle I could find that DIDNT have a stupid flash.

However after seeing a difference in Gen I now use it all the time.

I certainly do think these make the horse more comfortable and more accepting of a contact.

Well worth investing in one - and even better if you can get it cheaper (thanks Lucie I may have to see if I can get one for non-show riding).

Sylina

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 03:17:54 PM »
I cant seem to find that ebay shop....Can you give me a link please?
What is a quid equivalent to in US dollars? :) This can get a wee bit confusing at times!
That bridle is what I want!!!! AND it has NO flash...I HATE flashes...Why does EVERY black bridle  have to be expensive...And if its not...It has a flash ::grumbles::

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline lmevans

• freedom is hairy and has hooves
Elevator/comfort Bridles
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
I cant find the shop now either!!! Ebay only keeps your purchase records where I can find them for 60 days !!

but her login name was Birchave0 i think, she was absolutely fab and bent over backwards to help me out with the monster headed beast! The originals on ebay had crank and flash nosebands too, but she got me a plain buckled caveson when I asked. I will PM her email address to both Tor and Gen P now, anyones else????

As for pound dollar conversions Tor, I'm not 100 per cent either, I think a pound is about 1.5 dollars, so my 45 pound bridle would be about 68 dollars, and a bridle isnt heavy so postage wouldnt be too bad!  But I'm sure you could get am american copy of the elevator too more locally, iits such a good idea that someone must have copied it over there!! :lol:

Lucie xx
EET covering Dorset and Hampshire