Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Cushings & Prascend  (Read 2000 times)

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
Cushings & Prascend
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • Merly has been diagnosed with Cushings.  I was expecting it as his winter coat last year wouldn't have looked out of place on a yak!  He's also been a bit lethargic of late.

The vets have assumed that I'm going to try him on Prascend, but haven't discussed it with me.  He's been on Bute for a couple of years for a bit of arthritis; he's also getting a veteran vitamin/mineral supplement, Pro-Feet, & for the last 5/6 weeks he's been getting Dilaterol for his breathing.  The Bute & the Dilaterol probably add up to over 100pm; the Pro-Feet I could probably knock off or replace with seaweed; the vitamins I wouldn't stop.

If I put him on Prascend as well as all that lot it will cost me a fortune, & I have to be realistic.  It isn't that I begrudge it, but I need to know which of these supplements are actually doing him any good.  I've heard good and bad things about Prascend/Pergolide - it's said that it can cause depression - & at 19 a big horse like him is on the downhill run.  Does anyone have any experience of the benefits of Prascend?

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Cushings & Prascend
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, I've seen good and bad with addition of Prascend. It depends on the levels the ACTH came out at, if marginal (below50) I'd be inclined to work with strict sugar free diet management, higher than that and I'd consider Prascend if diet management didn't help.

That said I have a point on my books in its mid 20s who's result was over 900 but hasn't been given Prascend and has coped really well kept as a laminitic. 

So there is no clear answer.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well, his level was 129, & he's been on a lami-style diet since 2009 when he had it quite badly.  I read that sometimes Metformin can be used as an alternative if Pergolide doesn't suit?

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • That's high enough to consider Prascend then. metformin works differently, it helps the body lose excess weight, vet will advise whether it's appropriate, but different drugs, do different things.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • You could combine the vit/mineral supplement and the pro-feet - get a balancer/supplement with an effective level of biotin in and I don't think you'd miss the pro-feet?

I thought metformin was more for EMS rather than cushings.

I don't know if it works out any cheaper, or even if it would be appropriate/strong enough compared to medicine, but NAF respirator boost has done wonders for Poppy's breathing - might be worth a try.

I read some really positive stuff about Pergolide/Prascend when I was worrying that Poppy had cushings (she doesn't it turns out!)... just a few teething difficulties with the depression/going off their food while working out the right dose for the horse.  Personally I'd be inclined to give it a try - my vet said that it can mean you can basically manage them as a non-laminitic if it works for them.

I have no experience though - just the bit of reading I did when worrying about Poppy.

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:27:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks guys.  I've discussed with the vet & we're trying the Prascend.  I gather I should start to see results in 4-6 weeks if it's going to work.  I assume it would be around the same time before I may notice a negative result?  But they'll do another blood test for the ACTH count.

I understand that Metformin works differently - he'd have to be tested separately for insulin resistance & it would only assist with part of the problem.  But we'll wait & see.  :)

Offline nona

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our turn!  Osian was tested for Cushings after a bout of laminitis last year and the reading was in the 30s.  This year it is 65, so we have agreed to try the Prascend.

He is not hairy, but has a tendency to have a big belly, his back is a bit dipped, and the area above his eye a bit full.  He had a noticeable higher worm count reading that the other two when it was last done.

So he will be tested in again in 4 weeks, and let's see what that brings.

Poor boy!  Poor bank balance!

By the way, he is 20.  The other two are 20 and 24.   :sad:  We're all old here, but feel young  :yahoo:

Nona