Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Pelhams  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Rubicon

Pelhams
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello everyone!
    Thank you for letting me join!
    I have a bitting question.
    I have an 8 year old H/W cob that i have owned for about 10 months. When i bought him, he was ridden in a loose ring french link snaffle, but was very sensitive as he had been used in a riding school and had obviously had his mouth pulled about.
    I changed him to a Myler Comfort Snaffle and I started working him correctly and he is doing very well. I now feel that the time is right to ride him in a pelham, but am very unsure what to go for. I quite fancy staying with the Myler, but am unsure whether I should go for a mullen mouth or a low ported pelham.
    He  isn't strong, he does have quite a high neck carriage, so would like something that would help him relax and lower his neck a little.
    His mouth isn't particularly fleshy.
    Any advice would be great  :db:

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
    • EE Society Member
    Re: Pelhams
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've used both on my sec D mare (but not myler). She goes fine in both but seems to prefer the mullen mouth. Can you hire them from somewhere to give them a try? Or buy second hand non myler ones to see if your cob has a preference then get that one. I used to swap them around occasionally to keep her fresh thinking.   :)

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

Offline Rubicon

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Tiber,
    Yes, I think that is the way forward, trying to find a s/h myler is proving difficult though.
    I will keep searching.
    Thanks!

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Can't say I've come across any horse so far that doesn't like a mullen-mouth Pelham, and as you want to get that relaxation of the jaw which frees up the topline I'd personally say go for it.  Whether you choose the hard rubber (NOT vulcanite) or the metal version would be down to what you feel your horse would prefer.  Only thing I'd suggest is start with an elastic curb, since you say he isn't strong.  :)

Offline WoodysMum

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've had one TB who loved it, a WB who liked it, and a TB who hates it  :laugh: