Author Topic: Hanging cheek snaffle or Pelham?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline andrea.mcshannon

Hanging cheek snaffle or Pelham?
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »
I have a horse on loan who is now 16. He was initially a long distance trekking horse then for the last 10 years he's basically been a pet. He came to me in a huge snaffle which he hated. I've put him in a full cheek lozenge which I had. He is very on the fore with a hollow back and high head. An instructor recommended a hanging cheek snaffle with lozenge to help him encourage his head down. After reading heathers book I'm now thinking Pelham? Of course the ideal would be to try different bits but wondering which is the best to start with as I'll need to probably buy as he's bigger than my other horses. He is also a head shaker (dentist coming soon to check). I fractured my back on a fall in 2011 so regaining my confidence although a competent rider I'm not sure double reins would be even more for me to think about at the moment as I'm really working on my balance with him as I seem to have stiffened up.

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
  • EE Society Member
Re: Hanging cheek snaffle or Pelham?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »
Firstly, hello!  :wave:

I think I would go straight for a pelham to be honest - it made the world of difference with my pony. You may well be able to pick one up quite cheaply second hand as they are easier to find than hanging cheek bits. You can always knot the curb rein at a fairly loose length while you get used to it. When I was learning how my pelham worked I used to ride (in a school) with one rein at a time so I learnt how each one worked. I'd never ridden with double reins before but found it surprisingly easy to manage once I got used to the idea and got brave enough to try!

Just a thought, but it may be that he doesn't like a jointed bit. My mare hates anything with a joint but goes very well in mullen or cambridge mouthpieces. I had her in a kimblewick for a while before we discovered the pelham and she was much happier than in her double jointed snaffle. :)

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

Offline andrea.mcshannon

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:09 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. Looking for a Pelham now :)

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Just for the record I totally agree with Tiber.  Just ought to clarify: don't go for the old style vulcanite (the really thick hard version) - you want the "hard rubber" Pelham, which is slimmer and slightly softer.

On the subject of double reins, don't use roundings because they don't let you separate the curb action from the snaffle.  As Tiber says, once you get used to two reins you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!  :)

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
I use just a plain metal mullen mouth, and also have a Cambridge mouth one which I used to swap to occasionally for a few days if I felt she was getting a bit heavy (as in not light as a feather!) in the mullen. (Pony is retired now.  :sad: )

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.