Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Lengthening the leg?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Wes

• Joined-September
  • Expired Membership
Lengthening the leg?
« on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Can anyone suggest exercises to encourage lengthening of leg? Lunging  it an option as normally rip on own and without stirrups in trot means I would have tested do sitting which my horse's back isn't really strong enough for? :cc_confused:

Offline Wes

• Joined-September
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Lengthening the leg?
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ooops, please excuse mistakes, predictive keyboard  :rolleyes:

Offline why1040

• Joined-November
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:48 AM »
  • Publish
  • I find (and Heather teaches) that to lengthen the leg, we need to open up/relax the hips.  One of the best ways to do that on horseback is to take your feet out of your stirrups (assuming you are safe to do so) and ride along with the toes pointing actively downwards, like a ballet dancer en pointe.  I'd start that off in walk, and then just two or three strides in trot at a time.  This shouldn't put too much stress on your horse, and should help strengthen his/her back too. 

What saddle you're using can also impact this...knee rolls etc can be very helpful for keeping your legs in a more suitable position   :)  :nod:

Offline Wes

• Joined-September
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks that helps to give me a focus that's manageable.  My new vogue has the big knee rolls which make a difference! And I really want to work on lengthening my leg to take full advantage of the saddle  :)

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 02:22:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • You could also do plenty of exercises at home to loosen your hips & get those inner thigh tendons stretched - you don't actually have to go as far as doing the splits, but something along those lines... :D

Offline Wes

• Joined-September
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:08:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • You could also do plenty of exercises at home to loosen your hips & get those inner thigh tendons stretched - you don't actually have to go as far as doing the splits, but something along those lines... :D

Never thought of doing stretches off the horse to help with this (although it totally makes sense) - thanks! :db: