Author Topic: Any horse can?  (Read 8418 times)

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
Re: Any horse can?
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2015, 12:03:17 AM »
Oh sorry to hear that Dora.  :sad:

Beth

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:08 AM »
Sorry haven't replied sooner but I won't be able to do anything for a week as we have had a death in the family and have to go back to the UK next week.

As soon as I get back I will restart and update you

Thanks again for all your support

Sorry to hear this Dora. Looking forward to the updates when you're ready to restart.

Offline jools

• Joined-November
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »
Just found this thread and ditto everything that's been said! She looks goregous and if you want further education/inspiration Heather has just done a demo with a fabulous ride on a full clydesdale - check out her fb pages as she has photos of him on there and she will also put up a video soon. He's in a trekking centre all summer, has done clydesdale racing and produced lovely light work - all good inspiration!

Offline Dora

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
Hi everyone

I am back in the saddle once more and it is going really, really well.  She is softer and rounder and listening better.  She is fab in the Pelham too.

I will tell you all now that I have just bought myself another horse who is older and been there, done that and is very off your leg and well schooled.  He is going to teach me some stuff and is doing so, then I can use what I learn on him to teach my beloved Tequila.  Already I am improving a lot because it is no longer a case of the blind leading the blind.  Also she is easier in many ways as she is not as sharp and reactive as he is.  I learn stuff on him and then come home and play with it with her and she seems to really be benefiting from it.

My really big problem with her is still getting her to go forward.  The whip just makes her buck and back off more so I am going to use spurs the next time and encourage her forward more.  If I can solve that then I really feel like she is going to be brilliant.

I am subscribed to HorseHero at the moment and watched a really good video last night of Pammy Hutton giving a lad a lesson on a young horse just starting lateral work.  One of the things she talked about was weighting the seatbones in the direction of the movement.  Anyway this morning I tried this with Tequila and OMG her lateral work is sooo good.  As soon as I moved my weight she just moved into the pressure.  She really is so light in her mouth and moving away from the leg.  If I can learn to co-ordinate myself then she will give me what I want in spades. 

I have a dressage competition in sight for my new horse and also for Tequila in February.  I am really excited about it all and she is still the light of my life but the new boy takes the  pressure off her because I am not in such a hurry to get out there performing with her.

Offline Cobstar

• Joined-July
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »
 :wave: I was wondering how you were getting on. How lovely to have a schoolmaster too.

Have you got Heather's book yet? She is very good at explaining aids including weight aids.

Offline Dora

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
Yes I have it and am slowly working my way through it. 
I am sure we will make slow progress but I have no rush with her now I have my new boy.

I don't want you to think I am a pot hunter because I am not but because of my age I can't wait another few years to compete so he can help me now and then she is something to look forward to in the future.

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »
Sounds like a good move. Schoolmasters are brilliant!  :db:

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

Offline Flyingfox

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
  • EET Level 2
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 03:28:26 AM »
So sorry, but I cannot find a Straightness Training Instructor who lives in southern France. there may be a possiblity of a lady called Lucie Klaasen who is a lovely instructor visiting France to teach but I am not sure when that could be or which part of France.
Its not what you do, but the way that you do it.

’If the horse is trained by force, force will be required to ride it.’
– Egon von Neindorff

Beth

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Lovely to hear a positive update.  How lovely to have another horse too!  Nothing like a schoolmaster to help improve your riding.  Hope all is still going well  :db:

Offline Dora

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:38 PM »
At the moment I will say just one thing... Schoolmasters are all well and good if you are a good rider!!! 
I am currently having 5 lessons a week on him and it's not going as I thought......  8o( Say no more!

Offline Cobstar

• Joined-July
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:08 AM »
Dora please be kind to yourself. It takes time to build up a partnership with any horse. And horses take time to settle into a new environment.

Schoolmasters expect to be ridden in a particular way and some demand it. Keep going as you learn the correctness and finesse required in aiding  you will be rewarded.

Two of my highlights from riding other people's schoolmasters was learning that I needed an appropriate contact to get canter and keep it.Throwing away the contact was why I wasn't getting a good transition.

And getting and repeating  two flying changes of lead in canter on the long diagonal in a relatively small indoor school meant I was sitting correctly and aiding correctly.

Offline thecatsmother

• Joined-January
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 06:58:50 AM »
And I learned that if I didn't sit perfectly straight the horse would wander along in a wobbly line, or go on a smaller and smaller circle until he stopped  :whistle:  (or even run back to his mum and ask her to take the bothersome thing off his back :-[ ). I called him an examiner rather than a schoolmaster, because he definitely marked you and awarded a pass or fail  :o  :laugh:  :D
Sometimes they make you realise that even your basics could do with improvement, which can be hard to accept; but if you do accept it and try to tackle it, it will do your riding the world of good and mean you can potentially achieve sooo much more in the future.

Chin up and when you're feeling down about it, just remember you're working to make yourself better, for your horses's sake as well as your own, and as such are already sooooo much better than many riders out there  :nod:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:04:35 AM by thecatsmother »
Lesha, nr Exeter, Devon UK

Chocky, Star, Port, & Hal (all RIP), Arai, Augusta, Ash, Foggy, Daisy Doglet & Finnegan

Beth

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
Hello  :wave: Do you ride new horse in between lessons on your own? I just wonder if a quiet 'potter' in the school with a bit of experimenting, as you did with Tequila, might be helpful. Keeping it really low key, and slow. Riding shouldn't be impossibly difficult- it usually goes wrong when you start trying too hard! Heather's methods are very simple- what chance is there of getting to a simulator course? I
realise you are in France, so I know it's not just a quick trip up the road!

Are you on Facebook? Heather is more active on there than here. I believe she is offering video consultations which you might find helpful. Heather is very good at keeping things simple, even with her vast knowledge, and often offers 'lightbulb moments' to the rest of us average Joe's.

Good luck  :D