Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Skin problems?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
  • Expired Membership
Skin problems?
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sleepless nights at the moment worrying about pony.
    Last weekend she had what looked like a graze on her face. I washed it off, put a bit of cream on and left it. Over the week it got slightly bigger. Now my pony is known for being laid back, she can be left in all day on her own and looks fine. But inwardly she s obviously stressing. When she was on a livery yard that had no winter turnout, she looked fine, BUT developed a habit of rubbing her bum on the wall to the point of creating a bare patch. Which is why we moved off that yard. Anyway, with this mark gradually getting bigger I thought that maybe she was doing the same thing when turned out. There is no grass, but they get two haynets a day. So I thought that maybe she was bored and starting to rub her face against a fence post.
    Anyway it now looks to be testing worse and spreading. The vet is due out tomorrow.
    Can anyone tell me what to expect? Any ideas what it could be?

Offline SilkyRaven

• Joined- November
    • EE Society Member
    Re: Skin problems?
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • The little pony that lives next door to Dino had something that sounds a bit similar to this just after he arrived. The vet made it sound a bit like stress induced eczema (although it was called something else) and gave a steroid injection and some cream and it cleared up quickly enough. There are many others things it could be of course so getting the vet to take a look is certainly the best plan.

Such a worry these ponies sometimes! I hope the vet can sort her out and she recovers swiftly :hug:

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you
    Had pony for seven years and its the first time she has been "ill". I am a worrier too so always think the worst.

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 11:50:21 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hopefully it is something relatively simple to treat like ringworm, it sounds like it could be.  :hug:

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Poppy has rubbed her face raw twice now when she has been due her teeth doing (and had a diastema it turned out).  It hasn't happened in winter though (even with teeth that need doing) so I think it combines with some kind of general itchiness due to flies.  It looked horrendous the first time it happend - I thought she'd got some mad fungal thing all over her face.  But hibiscrub, sudocrem and getting her teeth done sorted it out.

I hope you get it sorted soon.  It is horrid when they have mystery stuff wrong.  :hug:

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • Vet has just been. She thinks it is a bacterial infection of a small graze. So wash twice a day with hibiscrub and then put on an anti bacterial cream. She will come back out in a couple of weeks to do a skin scrape if there is no improvement. Feeling a bit happier  :D

Offline SilkyRaven

• Joined- November
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Aww, glad it's nothing serious  :db:

:hug: :hug:

Offline nona

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hope you can sleep easy now.

Nona

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well trust my pony to be "an interesting case"
    Anti bacterial cream did nothing. She now has a large bald area on her face with flakey skin round the edges. Vets came back out.
    May be a fungal infection. Possibly lice, possibly mites so after mech prodding and scrapping lice were ruled out straight away. Unlikely to be mites as she is not itchy and rubbing her face at all. Gave her an anti mite injection anyway. Left me with a skin wash and off to test the samples they took.

May be an allergy,    May be fungal infection...may just clear up on its own and we will never know.
      :sad:

So shampooing twice  a week and good old sudocreme to keep skin moist.

Also very embarrassed as my pony proved she is a one girl horse. Wouldn't let the vets anywhere near her unless I stood alongside too. Acted as if she was being beaten with a stick when they ran hands over her to check for any other odd lumps or bumps anywhere.  :-[

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds like ringworm.   :-\

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
    « Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yep, still sounds like it could be ringworm to me too, which is of course a fungal skin infection. 

Sometimes by the time the scrapes come back, it's cleared up if it's been treated as such.  When Sunny had it he was treated with a wash and griseofulvin which cleared him up pretty quickly.  My vet said it will resolve by itself anyway, but it takes weeks and in the meantime other horses could get infected.  As it happens the whole yard had it, Sunny was one of the last to get it, but it was misdiagnosed by the others' vet and no precautions were taken to stop it spreading, so it wasn't a surprise really.

Hopefully if it is a fungal infection the wash you've been given will clear it  up.  Have you been asked to keep her gear and grooming stuff separate just in case?  I had a bucket of Virkon outside the stable to wash with.

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • On the subject of ringworm,  my son had it when he was about six months old; a little red patch with slight crusty bits round the edge - I recognised it as ringworm from seeing it in horses! The first Dr said it was a bacterial infection and gave him a cream which had no effect, so we took him back and saw a different (better) Dr who said ringworm straight away. With the right cream it was gone within a week.

Good luck getting it sorted.  :)

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Looking a lot better today. Flakey skin all gone...just bald.
    Skin scrape results came back same day....all negative for lice mites and ringworm!
    Vet is treating as if ringworm or fungal infection though so gave a second wash this morning.....in the snow poor girl  :)
    Head collar and brushes all disinfected.
    At least it isn't bothering her at all, and it is no longer sore looking.
    Keep telling her it hasn't spoiled her pretty looks. :laugh:

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
    « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • It takes a few weeks to cultivate some of the causes of ringworm, so she can't tell yet.  :)  Ringworm is just an old name for some of the fungal infections, because of what they look like.

Sounds as though the washes are working though.  :db:

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 07:12:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Clearing up nicely  :db: :db:
    Only actually used the wash four times. I was charged 20 for a large bottle, so obviously will hold on to the rest.
    Thoses of you who have had ringworm cases.....have you used any other method of clearing it up??
    I noticed on a different website that someone had a sheep with ringworm and she was told to try Tee tree oil or Caneston.