Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Bone Spavin - am I right to smell BullPoop?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
Bone Spavin - am I right to smell BullPoop?
« on: October 27, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • So a friend of mine is looking to buy a horse.  She's had a rough time with her current horse (Horse A) who passed a 5-stage vetting with flying colours then promptly went lame in trot a few months later  - it's all a complete mystery and she hasn't come sound with physio, vet visits, rest or daily walking hacks etc etc etc, she's ploughed a lot of time and money into Horse A but has decided to call it quits and look for a new home for her.  She thought she had found a nice home for this mare but I think it might fall through.  :sad:  (anyone want a gorgeous 17.2hh light hack/companion?? *hopeful face*)

ANYWAY - assuming she can still get a new horse she has been to look at one (Horse B) with a lot of potential as the fun all-rounder she is looking for.  Unfortunately she has been informed that Horse B has bone spavin "that doesn't affect her at all".

From what I can gather the horse has shown hock abnormalities on an x-ray that was taken as a precaution "just because I like to know everything" supposedly NOT because there were any symptoms  - and the horse is sound and working with no problems.  Part of me already thinks "why take the x-ray then" but I can also understand wanting to know stuff.

Now the seller of Horse B has also said that "every horse has spavins to some extent after 9 years of age"  - this has really got me baffled... REALLY?  Is there any truth in that at all?  She has encouraged my friend to Google it but that seems unwise given  that most on the internet about spavins is very doom and gloom and I haven't found anything yet that confirms the assertion that "they all have it"!  Seller has also said "it is just like humans getting older - less movement in the joints" and the horse "has good strong ligaments and tendons and is fit" so it won't affect her until her mid-twenties like all old horses.... apparently.  The horse is 12.

What do you think?

My thoughts are along the lines x-ray has picked up that hocks has arthritic changes, not yet showing symptoms but basically could at any point.  I think I would be happier if the horse had fully fused bones spavins and was still sound enough to do the kind of work my friend wants (hacking and local shows including a bit of jumping, possibly some TREC/pleasure rides etc)

After all the bad luck of Horse A I really wouldn't want my friend to buy Horse B and basically have the same thing happen.

Any input much appreciated!!

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Bone Spavin - am I right to smell BullPoop?
    « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:12:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Walk away. Buy with your head not your heart!  Anything negative on purchase is silly to ignore. Buy a 6 year old is my advice, old enough to be ready to work, young enough not to be broken!  Hind limb issues are rarely minor.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline SilkyRaven

• Joined- November
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
  • Publish
  • Nope. Now, I don't regret buying Dino for a second but a 'retained tooth that will be no problem to remove if need be' has so far cost me over 7.5k (uninsured as it was mentioned on the vetting) and it has drastically changed my opinion about what you should accept or not when buying. I don't think it's true that 'every horse has bone spavins' and given the trouble your friend has already had I'd be looking for something less risky. Anything already known is also uninsurable! I'd walk away, personally.  :sad:

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 10:06:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you so much for the replies - they have really confirmed what I was thinking so thank you.  :)

Unfortunately I have also given my friend bad news about a potential home for Horse A today as well so I have totally ruined everything all in one afternoon!!

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • You haven't ruined everything, you were just the bearer of bad news, and bad news is like that - someone has to say it!

I'd walk away too - you don't want to take on something with known issues, even if they are not issues at the moment. I'd also want to know why the x-rays were taken if there were no symptoms.

But then this is my experience of similar (not bone spavins though): Honey had x-rays of both front feet when she was 12 (after I'd owned her for four years) due to an unexplained lameness in the foot, and the vet said she showed navicular changes in both front feet - nothing out of the bounds of normal for a horse her age, but that it might lead to navicular syndrome in later life. The x-rays were done to try and diagnose a different issue, but picked up on the bone degeneration at the same time. (She's now 19 and still going strong...)

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.