Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Poppy's Barefoot Diary  (Read 5431 times)

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
Re: Poppy's Barefoot Diary
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • And her movement today... I think she is looking a lot more comfortable?

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • Much better but still landing toe first. I wouldn't ride her without boots and pads until she's landing heel first. Rehabilitation can take a long time for these cases.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think I'm going to be giving up and putting Poppy's shoes back on.  :sad:

After a bit of experimenting I think it is clear that Poppy's current physical problems (which means she is out of work - can't even hack right now - which she basically hates) are rooted in being uncomfortable in her feet - there's other causes too but it all gets much worse when she has walked somewhere without boots.. which just has to happen sometimes otherwise things would get so impractical it would be rediculous.  I know that given enough time her feet would transition and she be comfortable and it would all straighten out.  But at 19 I just don't feel like I have time.  :sad:

It breaks my heart seeing her shuffling about and it is now getting worse not better - but she is moving in walk better than she ever has once I take the feet out of the equation by sticking boots on.

As I say I know that if I play around with diet enough and give her long enough and let her frogs develop more and all the good things then she may well come right barefoot.  But it also isn't like she's just a bit footy - the footsoreness has set off a cascade of physical negatives due to all the other challenges her poor conformation presents and it has become clear that I need to keep her feet comfortable all the time to interupt the downwards spiral.  And I'm sorry if this makes me a lazy, bad person but the only way I can practically manage that is to put metal shoes back on.

I just want my Poppy back so we can go for big rambling hacks again before it's all too late.  :sad:

Offline SueC

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 10:50:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Good choice.  :db:

Offline CarolineJ

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 07:03:10 AM »
  • Publish
  •  :hug: :hug: :hug:  You know Poppy's struggling and you're doing something to make her more comfortable, I don't think that in any way, shape or form could make you a 'lazy, bad person'.

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • I agree too.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :hug: Thanks all.

Just got to find a farrier that will show up when s/he says and handles the horses kindly.   Hmmmm, easier said than done.

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Haven't read your whole blog, but just wanted to add  :hug: and say I did the same with my oldie and that was a retired horse!     Took her shoes off as she was retired even though my vet did say her knee arthritis would be worse without her natural balance shoes.   I disagreed and thought she "must" be better with less impact etc....   I tried for a decent length of time and whilst she coped, she was miserable walking to and from the field and went down hill quite a lot with her knee arthritis - which I had thought was mild :o

Popped her front shoes back on and she was instantly happier and has improved massively to the extent I might long rein her in the summer and take her out walking.   Not sure about riding as she has back end issues which I don't want to aggravate, but will see.

Anyway, do what you feel is right.     I also put the same mare's shoes back on when she was still a fully functioning riding horse after 3 years barefoot where I did everything 100% by the book, but whilst she functioned, it was always a struggle and never ever regretted it.

To balance it up, my youngster has never had shoes and whilst I sometimes waver about putting fronts on (she's rising 7), my absolutely brilliant farrier is always very pro leaving them off "unless she shows she needs them".

These farriers are out there.  :db:
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK