Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Itchy nose  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
  • Expired Membership
Itchy nose
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:16:57 AM »
  • Publish
  • My pony has started rubbing her nose on her leg as if it is itchy. It's not constant. There is no head tossing. There is no more snorting or sneezing than usual. Just a sudden, urgent pull down to rub her nose when we are hacking. I am assuming it is a slight allergy to pollen. Would a nose net help? Or is there a herbal remedy I could try?
    I've not noticed her doing it out in the field, but then again I'm not with her all day. I'm going to school her tonight so will see if she does it then, but last night we rode through the woods and she must have stopped a dozen times or so. It may be tree pollen???

Offline drummers mum

• Expired Membership
      • Two ponies and me!
    Re: Itchy nose
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • You could try sodium comgromolate (not spelt right) eye drops, 5 from the chemist but prescribed for Drummer by my vet. They seem to help his head shaking. Or a bit of Vaseline in the nostril to catch airborne stuff. If its just an itch I don't know if a noe net would make any difference but there is a cheap one on ebay at the moment if you want to try it  :D

Hope that gives you some ideas
    Emily, Stratford upon Avon, in very sunny England!!

Offline Bradders

• Joined- January
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Itchy nose
    « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bobby is a martyr to his nose! It is currently bald in places :sad:

Nosenet has made a huge difference to him whilst being ridden - but he hates having one on in the field - seems to drive him crackers!

I bought one of te ones form Ebay That Em is talking about - cheap, but does the trick :)

Bobby is much worse in bright light, so I find a fly mask that filters UV light helps him in the field too