Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Proximal suspensory desmitis  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Nessie

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
Proximal suspensory desmitis
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • My lovely horse has been diagnosed with this and I am distraught. It's not a new injury, it's old chronic damage, probably dating back to his dressage career before I bought him. He is only eight. We have only done a little competing  unaffiliated, in Jan and Feb this year. It was enough to cause the damage to flare up, he wasn't lame, just felt very weak behind and kept going crooked. Have had lameness work up, nerve blocks and scans, there is no doubt over diagnosis.
    Vet says he may be ok for hacking, will never do dressage again.
    My question is, has anyone any experience of this and how did your horse recover, and what level of work was it able to do?
    To add a further complication, he has EMS and needs seriously restricted access to grass, so retiring to a field is not an option.

Offline whisper's mum

• EE-Site Moderator
    Re: Proximal suspensory desmitis
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 06:53:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so sorry.  :sad:  :hug: None of mine have had it but a couple of my friends have and both horses had to be completely retired  (after trying steroid injections and shockwave therapy) I'm afraid but that was a few years ago and there may be new treatment options.  :hug:  :hug:
    Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :cry: so sorry to read this  :hug: :hug:

I'm no help on this issue but just wanted to give support
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline Larri DB

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • Larri's pastel portrait page at New rider
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
  • Publish
  • My experience of it wasn't great, but Safi's was caused by other issues. The general consensus nowadays is that the PSD is a secondary symptom of a primary cause and if you can target and treat the primary then the PSD can be alleviated. Primaries can be sacroiliac pain / damage, back issues, poor hoof balance, teeth etc. I don't know if that is the case with chronic damage though.

I'm surprised your vet hasn't offered a neurectomy and fasciotomy. That is where they cut the nerves so the horse feels no more pain and widens the fascia around the ligament to accommodate the swelling. It does have a reasonably good success rate, however it is dependent on the cause of the PSD and how that is dealt with.

If you are open to slightly off the wall ideas then it may well be worth your while contacting Roger Meacock. He's a full qualified vet with a lot of experience in this field but abhors the N&F approach, he deals with the primary then uses scenar to heal the ligament.....I'll warn you he's quite controversial, but he does appear to get results and is an expert in this field
    http://naturalhealingsolutions.co.uk./
    Larri...not an Essex Gal really!

Dancing with Bailarina Blog

Offline Nessie

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you all.
    Vet has discussed all possible options, am just waiting to see what the insurance has to say as they've already excluded hocks and stifles.(despite not actually finding anything wrong when they were investigated!)
    Even if they won't pay, will do shockwave first and see how that turns out. Definitely won't have a neurectomy as it seems wrong to me, the damage is still there and potentially getting worse but the horse can't feel it? Not for me I'm afraid.
    There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with him, vet happy with hoof balance etc. he's barefoot and will stay that way.
    As it's not a new acute injury, we don't have to do box rest so he's still getting turnout and hacking in walk. I suppose I should be thankful for that.
    Shall go away and read up on Roger Meacock, thank you :)

Offline Charliejet

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Interesting link Larri  :nod:

Best of luck with your horse Nessie  :hug:

Offline Nessie

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »
  • Publish
  • Quick update, have had three lots of shockwave treatment and he's much much better. We are hacking in walk for an hour a day and will be doing that for a few months. The soreness in his back is gone and he's building muscle along his top line again.
    And the best bit is I have found a yard with much more suitable turnout, so he'll be able to go out for longer. We move in a week, can't wait!

Offline Neo

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just seen this thread. Mt horse has also been recently diagnosed with exactly same. Chronic PSD. He's always been weak behind and struggled wit balance. Had loads of investigations over years and last vets said it was mechanical. New vet saw him and originally thought SI so medicated that. Following this we started to work him harder particularly on long reins and was doing quite a lot if circle work. He then went properly lame but only in trot on a right circle. Was sent for bone scan, nothing. Vet blocked hock and he came better, x ray showed nothing but US of SLs showed chronic desmitis on both hinds.

I've moved yards also to a yard where he can live out. Luckily he is ok with a lot of grass and is now turned out inn  a 9 acre paddock with 3 others. I think he thinks he's in heaven. He's on supplement vet suggested and although vet said I could hack out in walk I've decided to turn him away for now. He will rescan in September. I've read about scenar also, not sure about it as there's little evidence!

Andrea