Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Nuclear Scintigraphy / Spinal x rays - Update 25/04  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Charliejet

Nuclear Scintigraphy / Spinal x rays - Update 25/04
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • Anyone any experience with this please?  Might have to go down this route to try and diagnose a problem in withers.  Have some Thermal Images that have highlighted 'hot spots' so my preference would be to xray those areas but my worry is that it may miss another underlying cause elsewhere in the body.

Anyone know what sort of cost is involved in scanning?  No insurance on this. 8o(

Thanks
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:39:57 PM by Charliejet »

Offline Danni

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Nuclear Scintigraphy / Spinal x rays
    « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:56 PM »
  • Publish
  •  :hug:

I do, at Glasgow around 12 months ago.  It was a whole body scan, I'm not sure if they offer it in specific areas.  The procedure takes hours and you can't collect the horse until they stop being radioactive.  I found it gave a clearer picture than x-rays alone, it suited me as we were confident the issues were bone changes as opposted to soft tissue.  Actually, that's not entirely true of the SI issues we encountered, but the inflammation showed up enough in the soft tissues to confirm suspicions.

Likewise was uninsured, will dig out my invoices tonight.

Offline Charliejet

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you  :db:

Its hard to know what to do, horse is sound but being very tense ridden.  Physio picked up areas of concern but they keep coming back after treatment.   Been seen by Vet and SI issues picked up and had treatment which has brought about improvements but also getting problems in withers.  Ideally a full body scan would be good but have other issues with leaving her at Vets.  :cc_confused:

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • 1000 is roughly what you're looking at in cost terms
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline Charliejet

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks, a bit less than I thought  :)

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Daisy had one when she injured her shoulder in stable to check she hadn't fractured anything.   The worst bit is the fact they have to stay on isolation afterwards till the levels of radiation are down, but Daisy surprised me and ccoped fine with it all at vets.  When she got home of course she reverted to stresshead pain the ass box rest horse  :rolleyes:

Think mine was around the 1000 mark too for the scan bit  although total was more 3k mark but that included other visits to the yard, x rays, extra nights at vets and lots of iv antibiotics for the abcess that burst on her knee at the same time.
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline Belle

• Joined-July
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • When Tali had it for his fracture it was about 1000 plus stabling which was about 200. However that was a very defined small area and scanning more of the body does cost more. I was recently quoted 1500 plus VAT from Rossdales for whole body - plus the stabling charge after.

Offline Danni

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
  • Publish
  • Found my invoice, just the scintigraphy was about 1000, as others have said.  Stabling for 4 days was 150.  I managed to rack up a 2500 bill which included nerve blocks, x-rays, examinations and drugs.  I also had another 200 bill up here a few weeks after for secondary drugs to be administered.  To give some context, that was for a diagnosis of:

Bilateral but predominant left forelimb and bilateral but predominant left hindlimb lameness
    Bilateral osteoarthritis of the front coffin joints
    Bilateral mild radiographic evidence of navicular pathology.
    Bilateral sacroiliac disease

The whole body scan can take most of a day for them to do.  He was difficult to do nerve blocks and x-rays, which was why we went for the body scan.  In our case, I could have saved some money & stress if I'd gone straight for the scan.  Because of the long list of what we suspected and subsequently discovered to be wrong, it was worth it.  Different in a horse with localised pain, though.  I was in a similar situation in that there were recurring problems being picked up by the physio and body worker, although I knew to a greater extent what was wrong.

Quadi dropped some condition when he was there for the scintigraphy, he was fine and quiet but I think he internalised the stress.  I don't think that could be helped, it wasn't through the fault of the staff and he had a neighbours next to and across from him.  I asked them to give him omeprazole which I provided and they were very obliging.  I had left him at Glasgow before for a tooth extraction so I was a bit more relaxed about leaving him.  That's just my experience though, and with my horse.  It is so hard to trust them to other people, but I have always thought the staff at Glasgow to be capable and caring.  Very firm but fair with Quadi, and they very quickly worked out, without prompting from me, that sweeties were the way to his heart and his head :rolleyes:

Offline Charliejet

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks all  :)

Thanks Danni, how is he doing now? Did you go for injections? 

One of my problems is that I just have my two at home and it would mean my very stressy and not of the best health pony would be left on her own and I dont think I could do that to her. 

My current Vet has let me down  :sad: so going to get a new Vet out next week to have a look and discuss the options.  Sounds like a full body scan would give the best picture though.....

Offline Danni

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • I went for steroid injections into the SI and, back home, into the hoof for the navicular/coffin arthritis.  They lasted about 7 months, before he came down with Cushings-related laminitis last December.  He had a long list of illness at this point and I decided to let him go in Jan of this year.

I don't regret any of the recent treatment as the previous injections gave us nearly 4 years without pain in his back and feet, so it was worth a shot.  The steroids only last a couple of months and then it's all about physio, hoof balance, etc to maintain posture.  He was definitely a complicated case and the hospital were very sympathetic in terms of not shoeing, about what he could cope with and also my finances!  They did try to push me towards kissing spine surgery, but I didn't think it was fair on a teenage sway-backed horse.  I understand their frustration at wanting to fix everything, but I stood firm & they didn't push it further.  That was myonly criticism, that someone not as sure in their mind could be swayed into treatment that may be appropriate medically, but not emotionally/mentally for the horse and owner.

The complication of two at home is definitely a stress, I don't evny that :sad: I know it's not ideal, but can you get a temporary companion?

I'd say the bone scan is better than, as my own vet put it, going on an x-ray safari and spending almost the same money with less chance of a complete diagnosis.  I'm sure they'd still want to do x-rays of areas of concern, and they also did ultrasound on Quadi's legs.

Offline Charliejet

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
  • Publish
  • I am so sorry  :hug:  Thank you so much for all the info of your experiences.  Its been realy helpful  :nod:

My girl also has PPID / EMS so steroid injections are also a higher risk with her.  She recently had flexion tests and was declared 'sound' but she has weak hocks / stifles so I suspect they still need further investigation.   

Offline Charliejet

Re: Nuclear Scintigraphy / Spinal x rays - Update 25/04
    « Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Made the decision not to refer due to leaving the pony and finances then ended up changing Vets as wasnt happy with service of the vets i was using.  New Vet came out found pain in her withers and some in her back but no reaction to the previous SI injury.  So x-rayed today and she has fractured withers  8o( 8o( 8o( and impingements in her back.  Discussed injecting her back but as she currently has sore feet that is not an option anyway.  So waiting to hear now what course of action can be taken if any  :sad:

Poor little horse cant believe she has tolerated being ridden  8o( :cry: :cry: :cry:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:46:52 AM by Charliejet »