Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: MASSIVE THANK YOU TO CARL HESTER!!  (Read 15003 times)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
MASSIVE THANK YOU TO CARL HESTER!!
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:30:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just want to say a MASSIVE thankyou to Carl Hester and team for a simply awesome morning. Have to get something to eat after an attritional drive home in heavy traffic, with crap headlights despite new bulbs! Will write a full report- and post pics,  as soon as I am recovered!

All I can say is that this IS my idea of classical work, absolutely tension free, happy horses, and for those who think that Carl uses rollkur, oh boy, have you got a lot to learn. I have never seen more beautiful work with horses of all levels in my entire career, it is no coincidence that Carl and Charlotte are the best in the world. They have a system which is still flexible and takes into account the difficulties presented by each horse, but it produces work of such lightness and sheer beauty, that I defy anyone to sit there and be negative!

You could not find anyone more approachable or more welcoming, warm and funny. It was a privilege to be there and see this wonderful work. Thanks again Carl and to Fiona too for gallantly supplying 40 people with coffee and tea twice. ABove and beyond!!

I would also like to say that half of the money from this morning, Carl is donating to the Air Ambulance.

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • Expired Membership
    Re: MASSIVE THANK YOU TO CARL HESTER!!
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
  • Publish
  •  =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:)
    Trying hard not to be jealous!
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline pico

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you to Carl for having us, and Thank you again Heather for organizing it!  It was indeed a wonderful morning, well worth getting out of bed early to catch a train for. Lovely to watch and also left me with plenty of food for thought (of the good sort  :nod: )

and... I petted Valegro  :wub: , and Uthopia  :wub: squees like a horse-mad little girl  :laugh:

Offline hannah

• Joined-April
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • Had a fab day and loved seeing how happy the horses looked in their work. Carl was an engaging speaker and it was interesting seeing the progression of the horses through the levels and hearing their histories. The team obviously tailor their training to suit the individual horse too and I thought he talked a lot of sense about a lot of things. It was great walking round the yard and Carl saying "That one's in the field, so is that one, oh and that one"  :laugh:
    EET covering Central and North Wiltshire, Cotswolds and surrounding areas.

Offline whisper's mum

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful time!  :db:
    Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

Offline Louise C

• EE-Chat Moderator
      • Louise C & Flynn
    « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:56:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • He is just fantastic!!!! :db: Well the whole team were!!

Offline nix

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 10:16:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • It sounds as though a brilliant time was had by all, hopefully there'll be another one in the new year  :db:

Offline Mandeigh

• EE-Prestige Graphic Artist
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Would be great to see Heather and Carl do a demo together  :whistle:
    "to be loved  by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it" Marion C Garretty

Moray,Scotland

Offline Lee

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thank you Carl, Heather and Helen, it was a really lovely day, well worth the drive.  The horses were unbelievably relaxed, both in the stables and when being ridden.  To go from piaffe and passage to walking on a long rein with no tension was lovely to see.  All of the horses wanted to work and were regularly praised and rewarded for their efforts.  Very inspirational to watch.
    EET Level II - Southampton, Hampshire

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
    « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • It was very interesting thank you Carl!

I enjoyed watching Carl ride.  I also found his explanations regarding various exercises for horses with different ways of going, including the halts.  Very useful thank you.

It seems every time I visit an advanced, experienced clinician I come away with another emphasis on something I sort of know, but don't pay enough attention to.   :-[

Carl explained and demonstrated beautifully how a horse's preference can cause him damage if it's not addressed, with the description of horses who prefer to carry with their hind and bring their hind-leg naturally under their body and horses who prefer to use their front end and leave their hind more behind them.  I felt I should already know that horses would have a natural tendency and it's not all down to training and haven't been paying enough attention to which my own horses prefer.  I'll be watching them closely tomorrow. :)

So not just how straight they are, or that I am asking them to step under their centre, but whether they find it naturally easy or I need to work on it more and make certain they step forward into halt, not just being pleased if it's square.  :db:

It's so obvious when it's pointed out, but I'm one of those stupid people who hadn't paid enough mind to it.  :doh:

Not a bad lesson for 30 quid.  Cheers.   :yahoo:

Offline pico

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »
  • Publish
  • It seems every time I visit an advanced, experienced clinician I come away with another emphasis on something I sort of know, but don't pay enough attention to.

:nod:  We definitely came away with thoughts on which things we'd already been doing a bit of with Dino we should pay attention to more closely, and new thoughts on how to accomplish certain things.

Beth

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
  • Publish
  • Glad you all had such a good time  :db:

Offline yvonnemzz

• Joined- January
    • EE Teachers
      • Riding with Reason
    « Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yes, really enjoyed the whole experience. What a fantastic, chilled establishment. Lovely vibe from all the horses and the staff. Learnt so much, but, more importantly, how it is possible to work at such a high level and yet still make it fun for all concerned.  :db:
    EET Level 3 and Saddle Agent (South Carolina USA) Monty Roberts Intro Certificate Holder (Natural Horsemanship) www.ridingwithreason.co.uk
    EE Simulator lessons now available

Offline ParisDiamond

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »
  • Publish
  • Fabulous from start to finish, the whole place is happy and positive but again the same time efficient and productive. Carls personality is infectious, who wouldn't want to work with him?

I hope to see him perform again soon.

Thanks for giving us this opportunity Heather.
    Tracey Brimble DAEP, North Somerset

Offline Casey76

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    • Cobs can (try...)
    « Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 08:21:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • Absolutely green with envy  8o(

So glad everyone had a fantastic time  :db: