Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Grooming in winter  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Fiona

• Joined -January
  • EE Society Member
Re: Grooming in winter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • All our "at home" horses are stabled at night and wear turnout rugs in the day (we live 1,000 feet up a Welsh mountain and the fields they are in have no shelter, so I feel that is the best compromise for them between freedom and protection from the weather).

I groom my riding horse (with dandy brush, hairbrush for mane and tail and hoofpick) when I ride him, and sometimes I groom Fina and Kobay the same way, just to do something with them when I have time.

The living out youngsters never get groomed!  They have their feet picked out when they are trimmed but apart from that they are au naturel.  I sold a two year old a couple of years ago, and the vet who vetted her commented on the dust in her coat - it hadn't occurred to me to groom a two year old  :rolleyes:  In the spring time I do tend to help the old coat out a bit - as you can imagine there is quite a lot to moult out from an Icelandic winter coat (and it's very satisfying  :whistle: ) but the babies don't get any regular grooming.

Offline SueWhitmore

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • I sold a two year old a couple of years ago, and the vet who vetted her commented on the dust in her coat - it hadn't occurred to me to groom a two year old  :rolleyes: 
    I had a young locum vet come to my lot's tet jabs once. She looked them over and said "They all look really well and healthy, could do with a good groom tho'." I stared at her, amazed, and then said "Are you quite mad? These horses live out, (not that it looked like it, they were all in the run-in stable to see what was going on  :laugh: ) they *need* the mud and grease in their coats as insulation." She then looked astounded, and said, embarrassedly, "I'm not really a horse vet." Although she was perfectly fine doing the jabs, I have to say. :laugh:

Just remembered, I do sometimes help the winter coat on its way. So it is not *never*.  I never hose legs tho', and none of mine, event he Friesian and the Dales, have ever had mud fever. I think it is because they do have the option of dry standing when they want it. I don't pick out feet either, the farrier does it once every four or eight weeks, depending on what trimming schedule they are on. Every month, I anxiously ask him if there is any sign of thrush or other nasties, every month he tells me "No".  Obviously, when I have to boot I keep the feet clean, but I have to sit down on my mounting block and they have to put their hoof on my knee while I scrub with alcohol hand wash etc.
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:30:39 PM by SueWhitmore »

Offline Fiona

• Joined -January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm not a leg hoser either - I was always taught that it was better to let the mud dry and then brush it off.  I feel guilty about not picking out feet, but we've not had any sign of thrush either.  I deliberately don't pick out Kobay and Fina's feet when they come in as I'd rather they had mud in their feet than poo.  I do pick out Vinur's before I ride though, as we have to walk over a large area of gravel and I don't want to drop mud on it (or pick the gravel up and take it with us). 

Offline CarolineJ

• Joined-January
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ah, I do pick out feet at least every other day because Finn is very, very good at finding the smallest stones on the hard standing area and getting them jammed into his heels  :rolleyes:  He'll usually come and tell me when he's got one stuck now - stops dead in front of me and lifts up the offending foot  :wub:

Offline Jo*

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh dear I think I'm going to have to hide!  :whistle:
    Orio's unclipped but rugged so his coat is beautifully silky and clean, he's got a turnout hood and a stable rug with a neck to keep away any poo stains away, he gets groomed daily and trimmed almost weekly to keep the pesky beard and feathers at bay, legs hosed off every day when he comes in from the field and feet picked out...
    I always thought I'd be a 'natural, horses-are-waterproof' kinda girl but turns out I'm very much not! Because I rugged him early his coat didn't grow quite to mountain goat proportions so with a rug on he doesn't overheat and yet stays nice and clean and dry so that I don't have to worry about his tack rubbing on dirty fur. I'm definitely a pamper-er, but I'm in my element finally having my own horse and I'm making up for 20 years without having one to pamper! Its such a luxury for me and I love it!   :D

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • When mine [ 3 natives and a PB TB ] lived out, with the field shelter, I groomed bits that were muddy, if it rained they were rugged if they were to be ridden / schooled.. Otherwise left alone
    Living in Jim is clipped and rugged at night only. trace clip, and Med NZ. 

Offline Tiber

• Joined-October
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Our two live out 24/7 with no field shelter. Hon is rugged in a lightweight to keep her clean and because she asks for it (she stands next to me when I hold it up for her - if she doesn't want it on she runs away!). She's 18 now and feeling the cold a bit more than usual. I think I'm also going to end up giving her a bib clip once I can ride again after Christmas as she gets quite sweaty when we go out.

Pip isn't rugged, but he grows a proper Welsh mountain winter coat. Unfortunately he is also prone to rain scald, so I have the dilemma of leaving him unrugged, which he prefers, but running the risk of him getting rain scald, or rugging him, which he doen't like. He's been fine so far because we had a stretch of dry weather, but it's started raining again now.  :sad:

Honey, Pip and The Duckies in soggy mid-Wales.

Offline RooA

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • Don't worry Jo, you aren't alone.  I have a pampered princess pony too (well yours is a prince, but similar  :laugh: ).  She's an Anglo-arab and lives in (we only get turnout in a small muddy paddock every other day, I'd prefer more obviously, but beggers can't be choosers round here).  She isn't clipped yet, she hasn't sweated up during exercise much so no point at the moment, plus she hardly grows any winter coat.  She is rugged - I try to find a level of rugging where the coat on her neck is slightly fluffed after a night in but she isn't trying to fluff it all out or tucked up.  The OH's ISH is a bit more neglected, he grows more fluff and can keep himself warmer so gets less rugging.  And he is less of a princess and doesn't mind the mud being left on.

To be honest I really like grooming my horse, after riding and playing with her on the ground in the school it is my favourite thing.  And I think it is good for her, like a nice massage, and she seems to enjoy it and get really chilled out.  I appreciate that the costs might outweigh the benefits if she was living out unrugged though.

Legs get hosed and feet mostly picked out.  I've been leaving the mud in when I can but honestly I think their feet do better with proper picking out, just from my study of 2 though, I'm obviously outnumbered on this one.  Jester has got a bad bit of thrush at the moment but this is after leaving his feet to do their own thing for a while (he is barefoot) - I'll go back to regular cleaning now.

Offline Jo*

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • RooA- I wish I could say it was for his benefit but he'd survive perfectly well without rugs! he's pretty hardy, I didn't want to clip him this winter yet wanted to keep on with his backing so I rugged him early to keep him at a comfortable temperature, not too warm! And he's got the most beautiful thin silk like winter coat that requires hardly any maintenance and is a pleasure to groom :) I'm like you, love our grooming sessions after a ride, it's proper chill out with my pony time!

Offline the doctor

• Joined-May
    • EE Society Member
    « Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
  • Publish
  • I'm another non groomer :laugh:

Rel lives out 24/7 in the summer without rugs - unless weather is dire & then only gets groomed if she's being ridden :whistle:

Winter, they go out every afternoon & in at night & she is quite well rugged now because she's stiff in her hocks, but I don't do rugs with necks & she seems quite happy with that arrangement :laugh:
    Again, she would only get a quick flick over with a brush for riding & I do was her mane & tail in the summer - particularly her tail as it gets disgusting!

I don't hose legs either, was always taught to let them dry naturally then brush the mud off :)

Offline DollysMum

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    • Mum to Kai, RIP Dolly xxx
    « Reply #25 on: December 14, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • Kai's in overnight and out in the day time, worked about 4 times a week (two sessions in the school and two hacks which tend to run to the long and fast side of things). He's clipped (only an apron at the moment but I'm planning to extend this into a trace today as he is getting very hot when ridden again) and rugged. I brush where the tack goes before riding in the school, and if we're going out in public, I'll also do his legs, mane and tail.

I never hose his legs - if he comes in muddy, I let the mud dry and then brush it off. At the moment our fields are still pretty much mud-free but once we start getting mud at the gateway, I'll rub on some 7 Day Mud Away once a week as it really does seem to stop the mud from sticking and keep mud fever away.

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 04:02:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Mud free fields.....I wish. :D

Mine is out during the day in an unlined rug, just to keep her dry enough to ride after work.
    Shavings brushed out of mane and tail, quick flick to get rid of dust and loose hairs. Legs are left to dry before mud is brushed off. I do wash her hooves, just so they are clean enough to pick up and pick out. Pick out is only to check for stones before riding rather than removing the mud.
    Mine is definitely NOT a pampered pony :-[

Offline Larri DB

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • Larri's pastel portrait page at New rider
    « Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • If and when I have a stabled horse they are groomed every day - legs washed and dried when brought in, proper groom from mud scraping, on to dandy, then body brush and finally polish with a sheepskin mitt. Bally was a proper pampered princess, but then even when she lived out she was a very clean and shiny girl

I can do "my little pony" with the best of them  :laugh: but it's a complete no-no for the living out lot, hence every photo of my lot there are proper scruffs  :-[

You'd have been horrified at the state of Chica when I dragged her in to ride today, she is determined to remain in camo to blend in with the bay boys   :o and I wasn't about to ruin her efforts  :laugh:
    Larri...not an Essex Gal really!

Dancing with Bailarina Blog

Offline SueWhitmore

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 11:35:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • I can do "my little pony" with the best of them  :laugh:
    That's the thing, so can I. I can do everything "by the book" and some things, like mucking out, I still do (that is, when I can't get Nigel to do it for me instead). And if I haven't got the time or energy to muck out, then I deep litter. Properly. But I'd like to think I have enough experience to know what is important and what is not and what is wrong with "the book" when you have non-working living out horses.