Author Topic: How to break up with the inside rein  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Claire

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
    • http://myfifthhorse.blogspot.com/
Re: How to break up with the inside rein
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »

Have you tried asking for inside bend by turning the hand to the outside? Think of turning the thumb on top in a right angle to the outside, almost as though you were inspecting your fingernails - like this image below:

that's a good tip i was taught some years ago by a top driving bod (was bought a driving lesson for a birthday one year..) works as well, thanks for the reminder Nix! and of course you only need turn the hand slightly, the more you turn the more bend...

Offline georgiegirl

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
I must say my right leg is very weak so if this is my outside leg i struggle a lot

Offline WoodysMum

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 11:02:46 PM »
I'm definitely going to try that turning the hand to the outside thing, with a horse that bends like a piece of wood  :laugh:

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:38 AM »
you could place colored tape on your reins so you know where to hold during a bend etc... Obviously it wont be perfect - but it would give you a jump start. Another thing my old instructor used to say (so I would add my outside rein in)
Imagine that you are walking down a hallway and it is dark, you cant see a thing. You know there is a floor lamp ahead - but you cant see it- so you put your arm out and touch the wall - you only can touch one wall. the other side could be a precipus or more lamps or just wall. Without being able to touch that wall - you dont know - so you crowd into the wall you can touch, you bunch up, you take shorter strides, whilst you wave about with your other arm.
Now think about the fact that the hallway has 2 walls. you know there is no drop, and you know that you will find the lamp by touch no matter which side it is on. So you are able to walk down the middle - with confidence.

The walls are obviously your reins here  ;)

Another visualization that always helps me on my corners is to imagine that I am giving the horse just the outside rein to bank off of during the turn - much like a motorcycle does on a turn with a slight hill. The turn and the hill itself seems to guide you. And then you kinda 'woosh' flow out of the turn into the straight stretch - often you have more energy (though contained) as you flow out of the corner. So here I lighten the rein as we exit the turn.

Mind you this is all rein aids and I haven't discussed seat bone placement, nor leg aids.

Hope I made sense

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »
Sue, you have answered for me! It is nearly always the lack of use of outside leg that prevents the horse turning on totally loose reins, with only inside hip and outside leg.

Remember too, that you can 'give' several inches of rein by nothing more than very slightly uncurling your fingers Dani. But you can also take it back again by merely closing them.