Author Topic: Work without stirrups in vogue - what do you do with stirrups / leathers?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Belle

• Joined-July
  • Expired Membership
I have a problem with my legs - when riding Tali my lower legs are all over the place, usually too far back especially if I actually need to use them. Tali has a dressage vogue so I don't have to excuse of a poorly designed saddle. However when I ride Molly (who has a treed GP saddle where the stirrup bars are too far forwards) my leg is stable and secure. Besides the different saddles the two horses are different shapes - Tali is a broad native type and a bit of a barrel (and so short-coupled that any fault in leg position stands out like a sore thumb), Molly is narrower (though still a wide fit saddle) and has flatter sides.

So I decided I should do some work without stirrups in the hope it would help this. The trouble is the stirrup bars on the vogue come right under my thighs, so whatever I do with the stirrup leathers I end up with very ouchy bruises on my inner thigh and just can't ride without stirrups for long. Does anyone else ride without stirrups on a vogue? If so, short of removing the stirrups and leathers from the saddle once I've mounted what can I do to avoid turning my inner thighs black and blue?

Failing that, can someone lend me some well-behaved dressage legs?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:52:58 AM by Belle »

Offline Ramelia-Images

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
    • Ramelia-Images
I have to say, I just take them off  :-[ In fact, I always have on all saddles, because I simply hate crossing them over! If they somehow manage not to dig in, they clank, and it bugs me  :rolleyes: I'm happy enough doing a full session once me & the horse are warmed up though without them, so I don't find it an issue, but can you perch them on a fence if you think you might want them back at some point? This is what I used to do - so I could reach without having to get off!

Offline Belle

• Joined-July
  • Expired Membership
I have to admit I'm tempted to take them off, just think it would be a bit of a pain as Tali keeps pooing in the school and every time he does I have to get off to pick it up, so would have to put a stirrup back on the saddle to get back on  :laugh:

Offline annep

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Avoid riding on poos and pick up at the end??? :rolleyes:( or get a poo picking buddy whilst you are schooling!)
Cobs rock!

Offline Belle

• Joined-July
  • Expired Membership
Avoid riding on poos and pick up at the end??? :rolleyes:

Why the rolling eyes? If it was an option then I'd do this (I hate getting off mid schooling session) but I usually school with others since I am on a livery yard and it is (in my opinion) rude to leave poos for others to avoid.

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
I take mine off - or let them dangle if I am not doing stuff that make them bang around too much. Dan is super smooth so that helps. I cant seem to get the gist of crossing them - they always seem to bang or try to go under the saddle?

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline annep

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Why the rolling eyes? If it was an option then I'd do this (I hate getting off mid schooling session) but I usually school with others since I am on a livery yard and it is (in my opinion) rude to leave poos for others to avoid.

Just seen this - rather late!! - absolutely no offence meant by the rolling eyes Belle! I was just meaning if you'd got a kind friend with the patience to sit whilst you schooled and was prepared to go around picking up poos! - not really being serious ( although they do exist) - hence the rolling eyes- and totally agree re the picking up, something I would want to do straight away if riding with others too  :nod:Hope you've managed to solve your problem anyway.
Cobs rock!

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
I tried crossing mine recently - I got bruises under both thighs for my trouble - off or flopping around is best :)

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent