Author Topic: Tips to improve neck posture?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Erin's mum

• Joined-july
  • Expired Membership
Tips to improve neck posture?
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »
I have a pretty long neck and years crouching over a desk, and being lazy has resulted me in having a bit of a bad neck posture like A on this; http://www.fitness-programs-for-life.com/images/FITP_PoorGoodSitP1.JPG

Its frustrating for riding as I know its one of the main things that really spoils the picture and isn't great for balance either. When i'm riding though I get caught up with other things and very quickly forget to push my neck to the back of my collar/imagine the crown of my head stretching up etc. etc. However when I watch video back its such a glaring issue that I really need to get sorted.

So I know there's probably no quick fixes but does anyone have any exercises on the ground (or on horseback) they'd suggest to start to rectify it? Or any nifty tricks to help me to remember/stops me being able to forget the issue? Perhaps a strategically placed electric zapper would suffice  :laugh: :doh: ?

Thanks!
Emily+co in sunny(?) Scotland xx

Offline Emma

• Joined-February
  • Expired Membership
    • Flex2Perfect !
Re: Tips to improve neck posture?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
I suffer from this too from years of driving too much with work ! But am getting better now I've started working on it but have found the best time to practise is when watching tv or driving the car !

Here's a little trick you can use for anything !

Decide on a 'marker' i.e. a red dot (I buy the little round stickers from stationary stores you can get in all different colours).

Put yourself in the 'correct posture' and then look at the red dot, look away before you feel fatigued and then relax.
Repeat this several times (this varies per person but if done correctly 3-9 times is norm).  This will create an anchor to the red dot so that whenever you see the red dot it will remind you to correct / check your posture.  You can stick the red dot on your tv, on your car steering wheel and maybe you can put it somewhere like your glove when riding. 

You may need to reanchor it now and again if you start switching off to the stimulus but you just then repeat the exercise. 

:)
Emma Bailey
EET - North West & West Midlands

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:29:53 PM »
I hate that old term 'neck into the back of the collar' because its the equivalent of a horse sucking back tand shortening the neck Emily! I am not into many images and analogies but I do like Sally Swifts image of a string on the top of your head. Actually, I like the idea of a bungee rope attached to your head better still as it gives the feeling of being elastically stretched upwards. I have always been a chin poker, having a forward set neck and this image is about the only thing that has helped me. :nod:

Offline Lee

• Joined-August
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Have you thought of something like Bowen, Alexander Technique or Feldenkrais?  If it is a well developed posture and habit, one of these might help establish a new posture that you can then work on with Emma's suggestion.  Something might well be a little bit out of kilter, muscles will certainly be shorter than they perhaps should be and one of the above techniques might get you back on track.  Just a thought
EET Level II - Southampton, Hampshire

Offline Banjoboy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I used to be a trainer for BUPA and developed "teacher's neck" by leaning down behind someone and staring at their screen to help them!  One of the best things I was advised was to tuck my chin back, think of impersonating a bird where you would jut your chin backwards and forwards.  Yes, it may make my double-chin appear worse, but it aligns my spine correctly and whilst it *should* be done at the same time as pulling your shoulders back, thrusting your chest forwards and sitting up straight, it's a bit more subtle and applies more directly to the neck itself.

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
Only thing I find if you do this on a horse, Banjoboy, is that it can cramp the neck. The head needs to be able to balance lightly on the neck so that there is a very slight ripple, as the rider absorbs the movement of the horse- I hasten to add not the nodding head to be seen on so many dressage riders! More like that which you would see with an African lady carrying a pitcher of water on her head. This is why I like the bungee rope idea as it makes the rider sit taller, but also 'stacks' the torso in balance over the hips. :nod: