Amazon Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Bridle Headpiece Shape  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Ramelia-Images

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
    • Ramelia-Images
Bridle Headpiece Shape
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • I had a conversation with a few people a while ago about bridles & how they fit etc. Dan currently has just a cheap 'it'll do for now' bridle. But I'd like to get him something really nice & comfy. I've noticed that straight headpieces sit on the backs of his ears, which can't be nice. The 'cut away' headpieces though seem to generally have a very small cutaway, which doesn't look like enough, and then they often fill the cutaway bit with 'padding' anyway, which seems so stupid to me as the padding just pushes on the ear then!? It is never a small enough amount or soft enough!
    What I really like the look of is the more 'm' shaped headpieces, that curve away around the ear, widen over the poll and then curve back around the other ear nicely. But I can see a lot of room for error in fit there, although I have seen very, very few available 'off the shelf' anyway!

Am I being soft? Do other people use the curved, really shaped headpieces? Find any differences? I also want to avoid bridles with any bumpy bits that might poke into the horse's face too.
    I know I'm probably looking at a custom made bridle but that doesn't bother me - providing that I can find someone close enough who will make one  :-[ Wouldn't even be bothered if it was just a headpiece & cheek pieces!

Offline catkin

• Joined-July
    • Expired Membership
    • Jewellery for Horses www.jennycob.co.uk
    Re: Bridle Headpiece Shape
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
  • Publish
  • A made-to-measure bridle may not be as costly as you think - certainly  in the same price-point as some of the brands. A good quality one will last for the whole of a horse's riding-life so works out well on 'cost-per-wear'.

I have had a couple of bridles made - like you I dislike bumpy bits on bridles so we have got neat little buckles on the outside which makes the inside of the cheekpieces very smooth against the horse's face. If you can find someone who is also a harness maker have a chat about headpieces -they may have some suggestions on how to cut them for comfort.

Sorry if this is teaching grandmother to suck eggs - in the meantime check out the fit of your browband, many are made too short and pull the headpieces forwards.

Offline Casey76

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    • Cobs can (try...)
    « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have a comfort head piece, which is shaped "filled" with padding. Pinto finds it comfortable, he always sticks his head in his bridle, but my brow band is long enough (just!) that it doesn't bring the head piece too close to his ears to start with.

Although my bridle isn't custom made, it is made up of several sizes to get the measurements correct (a mix of full size, x-full, cob and xx-full) lol!

Offline Ramelia-Images

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
      • Ramelia-Images
    « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
  • Publish
  • Browband is fine, I've always found it makes very little difference - I think it may be something to do with Dante having a very short mouth (very short lips) so the cheekpieces are at a slightly different angle than normal, pulling the headpiece more forwards than down? Not sure, but either way it still sits up by his ears!

I think the highest quote I've had is 340  :-[ I'd prefer to keep it under 200 if at all possible  :o I think the majority of the cost would probably be someone travelling to take measurements though! I really need to track down someone fairly local and just have a good chat, but that doesn't seem an easy thing to do.

Dan's a fairly standard size I think, sort of 'small cob' - so the top holes on everything but just too big for pony size. He doesn't seem to object to his bridle at all, although he likes to try and eat it because it's leather, but he does that with all leather! I'd just like to get him something smart that will last and be comfy, now I'm fairly sure he has stopped outgrowing all of his tack!  :)

Offline Lanark

• Joined-April
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
  • Publish
  • I like the sabre cordoba bridles not shaped but quite padded and no other straps passing over the head they seem to suit Tucks.

i havn't tried them but this company does 'wavy headpieces'?
    http://www.pointings-saddlery.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

i know there are other brands that do cut away headpieces but having a brain freeze and can't think of the name of them i shall have a think and come back later...

Offline Lanark

• Joined-April
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • JHL Pro Training bridle do one: http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/JHL_Pro_Training_Bridle-(1868).aspx

or the brand i was thinking of was D'yon they do a variety of bridles
    http://www.sederholmselected.co.uk/category_s/1.htm