Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Bit less bridle question  (Read 4976 times)

Offline LinziT

• Expired Membership
Bit less bridle question
« on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Wont tell you why I'm asking will leave that for my blog :db:

But just wondered if there are pros and cons to bitless bridles, and the various types like hackmore etc I'm thinking more of something that would have minimal pressure, but I don't know what types are avaliable and the effects of the head pieces...?

Does it have any effect good or bad going back to bitted after riding in a bitless?

Any info or experiences would be a big help

winnieandben

Re: Bit less bridle question
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • I use both bitless and bitted and have no problem swapping between the two.  I would think one of the mildest would be a simple sidepull bridle.  The Dr cooks have a head hugging effect that some horses dont like and a hackamore has curb and poll pressure.

To experiment as to wether a sidepull may be suitable you could try reins on a headcollar.

Offline Icy Lady

• Joined-November
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • My horses seem to like the Dr Cook, but they don't suit all horses and/or owners.

I tried a hackamore and found that I had excellent brakes but not alot in the way of steering and I also tried a scrawbrig which had good steering and not alot of brakes.

I guess its a case of trial and error until you find something that suits.

I think its the bitless and barefoot site that have a bitless bridle that offers a number of different options in one bridle - I think you can hire them to try.
    Tadley, Hampshire

Offline phillipa

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • I rode my friend's arab in an english hackamore and really liked it. He was the type who just wouldn't go forward in a bit, so the hackamore was brilliant as a lot of the time I rode him with reins like washing lines (no annoying jangling bit in his mouth) and controlling paces from my seat and voice. However at the start of endurance rides when things can get a bit  :blowup: I had brakes which he would listen to.
    I found that with steering with a hackamore its best to ride like you're `reining'. If you open an inside rein on a circle you'll lose steering, you end up with your inside hand almost crossing the withers  :nod:
    I'll be trying one on my new boy too.  :)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline Jes

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • I ride my mare in a Barefoot sidepull bridle, this one in fact http://www.barefoot-tack.co.uk/barefoot-bridle-amber-2-in-1-30-p.asp

She goes really well in it, very responsive.  I sometimes ride her in a bit too and she is just the same in either bridle.  I've also ridden her in a Libby's scawbrig, but don't like that as much as I don't think the chinstrap releases easily enough and I think it annoys her slightly.

Offline LinziT

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh Jes why did you go and post that! It's beautiful and just the thing I had in mind!! :wub:

Offline phillipa

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • ooooh  :wub: that is nice!! with the texture does it rub at all???
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Offline drummers mum

• Expired Membership
      • Two ponies and me!
    « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • I went through a bitless stage with Drummer, we had a Dr Cooks style, liked it and it gave me confidence as I was nervous at the time and worried about hanging onto his mouth...trouble was I ended up with an upside dowm pony, all muscle under his neck.
    Emily, Stratford upon Avon, in very sunny England!!

Offline intouch

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • intouch equestrian
    « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • If you just want to try on out at home, this might be useful - Connected Riding Halter

Offline Jes

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh Jes why did you go and post that! It's beautiful and just the thing I had in mind!! :wub:

Sorry!  :D

It is rather lush, I absolutely love it.  No it doesn't rub at all, the noseband is quite soft and flexible.  This is my mare modelling it.

:db:

Offline Thomas

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Beautiful bitless setup that.

Thomas

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • I thought same thing, its lovely.

I hate the English Hackamore, every time I have used them they have rubbed the cheek bones, but then that was on ponies. I've got friends who use them on horses without any problems.

There is a Dr C cob size on e bay at the mo.

Offline Alice

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry for re-starting this post , but I wanted to add some information to it  :)

My horse and I , when we do ride , ride tackless or bitless . Mostly tackless , and occasionally with a Cordeo . But if we go out , or for any legal reason need to ware a bridle we use a simple leather side pull . But with the correct cheek strap ( compared to ones with normal throat latches ) the cheek strap with stop the noseband/whole bridle pulling around on the horses face . It actually makes it very precise  in giving aids , but the best , by far , all round ; In hand , bitless bridle , classical bridle . Is something called the Vienna cavesson , sometimes called and Antione de Pluvinel cavesson . As the name suggests it was thought in in the 15-16th century by Antione , as a soft , yet precise and strong
     ( if used in the wrong hands) (as It is with all things you place on the horses head , in fact the only training 'accessory'  you can use with full confidence that you wont hurt of injure the horse is the  Cordeo ( when place in the right position on the horses neck ) He advocated it for starting and training in-hand all his ( and his pupils ) young horses  :)

It is always made of soft supple leather with no chains or metal in the bridle / nose piece . It is well padded and has a soft cheek strap

here is the best picture I can find

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZozGYyG6pv7a2mdVtAWg5de2m7-vHMBuUdXkmaYvOZ0vm2_RQ

Best Wishes

Alice  :)