Author Topic: Is it me or YO?  (Read 5080 times)

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
Is it me or YO?
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Merly's fronts will obviously never be the same after his lami attack 3 years ago. It was nasty, it wasn't caught in time because YO had never had one with it before (& I was on holiday) so the vet wasn't called until 2 days after he first showed signs, and he's big. He's shod & he's sound, although he can be a bit footy on stony ground.

YO doesn't like my farrier, although he's been shoeing for me for at least 10 years. Yesterday she  decided to tell me she's unhappy with the shape of M's feet - nicely, but I know darn well it's bugging her. She reckons his toes are too long and his heels too low. He's half way through his 6-week shoeing schedule & his toes grow faster than his heels; the fronts also look worse because he's still got a slight dip below the coronet and the toes bulge a little - farrier does dress them back when he shoes but they'll never be 100%.

I'm starting to a) get a bit annoyed & b) doubt my own judgement. I'm aware that some farriers are better than others but on the other hand I'm constantly amazed at the number of amateurs who know better than qualified professionals  :angry: I've never had a problem with my farrier. How do I know whether I should be worrying or not?

Oh, and for me barefoot isn't an option for a number of reasons.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:00:21 PM by ros »

Offline DollysMum

• Joined-June
  • Expired Membership
  • Mum to Kai, RIP Dolly xxx
Re: Is it me or YO?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 04:38:54 PM »
Any chance of a photo? With the correct diet and management, damage from laminitis should be grown out after about a year. I'd be concerned if my horse still had funny looking feet 3 years on from an attack.

Offline lmevans

• Expired Membership
  • freedom is hairy and has hooves
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
yes I'd agree will Dolly's Mum, just having had laminitis does not mean he should be doomed to funny shaped feet forever. It takes a year to grow a full foot on a slow growing horse, but can be as little as four months in a quick one.

A dent below the coronet band and a bulgey toe suggests that the hoof is still trying to flare. Just dubbing the toe back isn't going to fix that, which may be why it's still there three years on. The hoof growing directly from the coronet shows you what angle the hoof wants to grow at. Any change in direction below that suggests mechanical pull changing the growth angle.

And for what it's worth, I know plenty of amateurs who know a hell of a lot more about shaping a hoof and keeping a horse sound than the qualified professionals!  :whistle:
EET covering Dorset and Hampshire

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »
Thanks. Am going to discuss with farrier at next shoeing. M's feet were quite reasonable prior to the lami attack, but not the best in the world - he has some Shire in him & they're not noted for incredibly hard feet. I've considered trying barefoot, but I do a fair bit of roadwork, and I haven't got the facility to put him on hard-stand for any length of time. I really don't think his feet have the quality to stand up to it, overall.

Any similar experiences, anyone?

Offline flossiemare

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »
Pics would be helpful  :) Just to add, I have shire horses and their feet are incredibly strong and rock crunching, so maybe a diet thing?

Offline Mossy

• joined-January
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »
I have just taken Con barefoot, and I ride her in boots. Three pairs of riding boots are lined up in the tack room, one of mine and two of hers!
Mossy

What am I, that one so big and powerful as you should trust me and do my bidding?

Offline Mossy

• joined-January
  • EE Society Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
Oh who is your farrier? pm me if you want to.
Mossy

What am I, that one so big and powerful as you should trust me and do my bidding?

Offline ros

• Joined-December
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Flossiemare - no, it's not a diet thing, purely the effect of the lami. His hinds are absolutely fine and so were his fronts originally. Hoof supplements helped quite a lot.

The shape change isn't that pronounced, tbh; I don't want to make it sound worse than it is. I suspect the YO has been watching him walk in from the field - it's like a billiard table at the moment and the two fatties are in there for their waistlines & think their throats have been cut, so M dawdles past the long grass by the path on the way in in the hope that I'll let him stop.  :rolleyes: But when we went for a ride on Saturday she had to admit there's b****r all wrong with him after his performance in the woods (& there are some quite stony tracks in there).  :whistle:

Jill - I don't think it's a farrier you know, but he trained with my previous farrier and he's shod M ever since I moved away from the farm. He shoes 3 other horses on the yard and the owners are perfectly happy. The YO has some very old-fashioned ideas about feet and shoeing, and although there's nothing wrong with that in itself, I don't always agree with her own foot care, and her mother, much as I love her to bits, is appalling - her old mare keeps her shoes on until either they fall off or have to be pulled off!

Offline CremeBrulee

• Joined-September
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:20:50 PM »
Agree with the others - the horse will have grown at least 3 new hoof capsules since he had the bout of laminitis so if he has a funny shape its not from that.

Can you take pics, front side (with cam on ground level to hoof) and sole? Would help  :)

Offline Wendy

• Joined-November
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Wow, that sounds exactly like Marley's feet. And I had exactly the same comments from the RI I used to go to. I am reluctant to change my farrier because he is really lovely with the horses and as far as I'm concerned he does do a good job. Marley's feet just want to grow out and slipper and there is really not much you can do to correct it. He trimmed the toes back as much as he dare, you can't force it. So I have taken Marley's shoes off, I have stuck with the same farrier for his trim for now, I have got some boots. His feet are self trimming because I turn him out on the yard and I am booting him for stoney surfaces and schooling. I will be taking him out for long inhand hacks (once I get my act together and address the tractor issue). I do think the only thing you can do is take the shoes off and do the whole barefoot thing unfortunately as it is a PITA to be frank  ;).
"A straight horse isn't a horse without bending, but a horse that uses his four legs to step forward in the direction of movement.''
Gustav Steinbrecht (18081885)

issywizz

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
Hoof issues are almost always a 'diet thing' although obviously trimming does play a part too.
if he's had lami then unless his grazing has completely changed its likely that he has a degree of LGL going on now.
The difficulty is in getting to the bottom of the dietary issue, that can be pretty difficult sometimes.
Have you had a mineral analysis done on the grass and forage? also sugar levels?
Has he been tested for IR?
That would be a good place to start.
I have also found that if the feet are tending to 'slipper' then its pretty much impossible to fix with shoes on.
Could he not have boots whilst he's transitioning? the easy boots are really good and very easy to put on and off.