Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Could a bitless bridle help me?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Starlight Dazzler

• Joined- June
  • Expired Membership
Could a bitless bridle help me?
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • My pony is working really well at the moment in the school. However, when we are out on a hack and I ride with a longer rein, she has started snatching the reins from me, pulling me out of the saddle. This can happen at any time, and I can't always tell when she is going to do it, when I can tell, I always brace and stop her. It doesn't seem to relate to a certain pace and she doesn't do it in the school when we are working. I have been looking at bitless bridles and like the idea of the sidepull. I would only use this out on hacks, so there is a clear message that when she wears the bitless we are not working.
    I don't want to ride her on hacks as if I am schooling her as I think we both need to get away from constant schooling.
    Do any of you use both bitted and bitless bridles? and do you think this would work? Or are there any suggestions of how I can get her to stop snatching?

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Could a bitless bridle help me?
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • If your horse is working nicely in the school, I'm just wondering whether the snatching is actually bit-related or whether it's something else? Horses will often snatch at the reins so they can stretch their necks to relieve a sore or tired back. Do your hacks tend to be longer than the periods for which you school? And have you thought about any back/saddle issues? I think it's definitely worth considering before you decide to go bitless  :) And in the meantime, maybe encouraging her to stretch now and again isn't a bad thing.

Offline catkin

• Joined-July
    • Expired Membership
    • Jewellery for Horses www.jennycob.co.uk
    « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • two things that may help, and are cheap and easy to try:

try knotting the end of your reins - you can move the whole rein forwards to allow a stretch but a 'snatch' by the horse will be arrested (unless they are determined enough to reach that juicy morsel in the hedge and have perfected a fancy little manoever to get there- or is that just Welshies :whistle:!!)

have you got a wide cavesson noseband (1.5 to 2 inches wide) - if so buckle a second pair of reins underneath , where a leadrope would be on a headcollar. It works as a gentle 'bitless'.

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
  • Publish
  • We do hack for a lot longer than we school, but she is fit, so I don't think she is tired. I do reqularly let her scretch down when safe to do so, but cheeky mare that she is, she always takes advantage and rushes for the nearest piece of grass :) We ride in a vogue saddle, I don't think there is a saddle/back issue, because in the past this has shown up in the school well before I noticed problems on a hack. I think she is just taking advantage. I would be quite happy to plod along on a long rein, and quite often do so when I am on my own, so there is no snatching then, but when we are out with others, my 14.1 fell pony turns into a 16hh racehorse in the blink of an eye :-[

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • what sort of pad do you wear under your saddle?

although a vogue is one of the best things you can put on your horses back - it doesnt mean that your horses back cant become fatigued or injured, poor riding (not saying this is your issue) a squint rider, a saddle pad that bunches or doesnt relieve heat well, a field injury and more can cause issues under saddle.

bitting could be an issue - try what one of the above posters said about a set of reins/lead strap on a halter to try out bitless - though if your little fell turns into a fire breathing snorting race horse i would have the security of a bit in place too.

you could experiment with different bits, wean yourself over to bitless to see if it helps - but do it cautiously

has your horse had its teeth checked recently?

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
  • Publish
  • OK, so what bit is she in at the moment?

• Joined- June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think it's called a french link snaffle? does that should right? it is like a little lozange shape inserted into a snaffle- loose ring. Sorry not really up on bits :-[ It was recommended as a gentle bit

Offline Torsornin

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:51:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • take a pic of it :) or find one in a mag or something that looks just like it :D

Idaho, USA Fhoenix Agent