Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Bitless Bridle advice please  (Read 2003 times)

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
  • Expired Membership
Bitless Bridle advice please
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
  • Publish
  • I've been looking online at bitless bridles.     I really want to get something to hack Mins out in - she already likes to have a munch along the hedgerows when we wander out, so thought I'd make it easier for her - we are rapidly descending into mad old age together  :laugh:

I want something mild and nothing with poll pressure (she would hate that) so was thinking some kind of side pull is it?    I don't think she'd like a Dr Cook's type and I don't need anything with major amounts of control (she says....... :whistle:)       Its all new to me as never tried bitless except a normal hackamore many years ago on my old mare whilst her wolf teeth were taken out.     

As a guide, Minnie is perfectly happy with curb actions and drop nosebands, hates flash nosebands and too much poll pressure.     She's perfectly controllable mostly in just a snaffle and loose cavesson.

So far I've liked the look of the Light Rider and the side pulls on Goldfinch Equestrian  - lots of pretty colours, but I'm not sure if the rope is more severe than the flat leather of the Light Rider?     

I know this has probably been asked a million times before and I know it depends on the horse, but I would like to start as mild as possible really, as I'll only be using it to hack around in and mostly off road. 
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline shoveltrash

Re: Bitless Bridle advice please
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • click on search above, then advanced search......
    i typed in 'bitless bridle' and got a TON of posts!  no time for me to read thru it all right now, but might be worth looking at?
    Trish - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

"If we are conscientious, beautiful roses can grow from the manure of our recognized and corrected mistakes."
    Erik Herbermann

Offline Icy Lady

• Joined-November
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
  • Publish
  • Mine all go in the Dr Cook and it seems to suit them.  However I thought I would try a Light Rider on my newbie as we are planning on rebacking him.  I had to order it from Australia as couldn't get one in this country - if you decide to go that route you need to watch the sizing as I got a Cob size for a 14hh icy and it only just fits the 12.3hh!!!!

I have just bought a lindell to try as have used one in the past with success.
    Tadley, Hampshire

Offline intouch

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • intouch equestrian
    « Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • You can get light rider on Amazon.