Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Jointed curb bits  (Read 2566 times)

ukica

Jointed curb bits
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • What are your views on the value of jointed curbs. I have seen these versions of the pelham and kimblewick amongst others.

Does the joint make the curb lose its function?

I would be very interested to hear views on this.

Offline ChrissieW

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    Re: Jointed curb bits
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • I believe they are supposed to have a more severe action and can cause the curb to act on the wrong place. However Minnie doesn't agree and she goes much happier in a jointed rugby pelham and absolutely shows her disgust at any straight bar, mullen mouth type.

I haven't had an issue with the curb in the wrong place but do always use a lip strap. Although I rarely use the pelham as Mins is fine in a snaffle for everything, I just use it for showing mostly.
    Chrissie - West Sussex, UK

Offline intouch

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
      • intouch equestrian
    « Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
  • Publish
  • We used to use one for schooling  WH 153 pony - can't remember why but she always went beautifully in it!

winnieandben

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • Jinx has a french link rugby pelham as well, she likes it  :nod:  For her (dont know about other horses as I have heard people say it is more severe)  she seems to find the french link one slightly milder in action than the mullen mouth.  I do use the mullen mouth more often but must dig the french link out and try that again sometime  :nod:

Offline Flyingfox

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    • EET Level 2
    « Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:09:01 PM »
  • Publish
  • MDJ reckons that double jointed bits are not great. Single joints are OK in her view, but double jointed bits can pull through enough that they may make the connecting link rub inside the corners of the mouth. I always thought French Links were milder too but maybe not?
    I think Heather thinks that any kind of jointed pelhams are a bit dodgy though. We use a mullen mouth rugby pelham on one of ours and she likes that much more than any jointed bit we have tried.
    Its not what you do, but the way that you do it.

’If the horse is trained by force, force will be required to ride it.’
    – Egon von Neindorff

Offline ros

• Joined-December
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • I tried one of mine in a jointed Kimblewick years ago & it certainly wasn't a success. I think you interfere with the effect of the curb on the - oh geez, what's the word, not pressure point but you know what I mean (sorry, Alzheimer's) with a joint. Maybe the Rugby is slightly better since you have the loose ring effect of the snaffle alongside it?

Offline Casey76

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    • Cobs can (try...)
    « Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »
  • Publish
  • MDJ reckons that double jointed bits are not great. Single joints are OK in her view, but double jointed bits can pull through enough that they may make the connecting link rub inside the corners of the mouth. I always thought French Links were milder too but maybe not?
    I think Heather thinks that any kind of jointed pelhams are a bit dodgy though. We use a mullen mouth rugby pelham on one of ours and she likes that much more than any jointed bit we have tried.

I hope people still listen to their horses as well.  Pinto doesn't have enough room in his mouth for a single jointed bit.  All of the bits I've tried have been double jointed in some way.  Currently his bit is very similar to a Myler, so not quite jointed, and not quite a mullen either.

His pelham is a mullen mouth, but it is "broken" in that each side can move/rotate independendly, but the bit doesn't collapse.