Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Bits with tongue room.  (Read 6967 times)

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
  • Expired Membership
Re: Bits with tongue room.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Ive got a 5 1/2 " neue shule jointed with a lozenge if you would like to try it.

Offline drummers mum

• Expired Membership
      • Two ponies and me!
    « Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks cirocco but 5 1/2 would be way to big I think, is it a plain one?  Only I was looiking at the website and there are 3 bits that they do with a shaoed mouth piece, a training bit, the verbindend and another less curved one that I can't remember the name of and I'm keeping my eye on ebay as they look promising.
    Emily, Stratford upon Avon, in very sunny England!!

Offline Alia

• Joined-August
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi, I have had a similar problem with my mare. I hired a Myler low port comfort snaffle from the bit shop and found she accepted this really well,it gives me more control,yet my horse is quiet in the mouth and relaxed. They are a bit on the expensive side ,that is why it is worth trialling one first. I have now bought mine.

Offline whisper's mum

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
  • Publish
  • I tried the Verbindend on all 3 of my mares and they all did the same thing - curled behind it and felt like they were a car on ice... a definite false lightness.
    Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

Offline OliviaR

• Joined-November
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah Tilly REALLY hated the verbindend too.  Didn't matter how high we put it she spent the entire time trying to get her tongue over it.
    Olivia with Billy and Inka the greyhounds :)

Tilly is off causing mayhem elsewhere!

Offline cirocco

• Joined-March
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dont know, its the bent one if that helps, unless I go on the site ill not be able to say for sure.
    Is it for the fell pony?? jim is a 5 1/2 which seems big for a little pony, same size as rocky 15hh was.

Ive not really got anything in my collection that might help you because they are all the same size. Have you tried the happymouth???

Willi has been a nightmare for bitting all his life, because he has always got his tongue over the bit no matter what ive tried. Ive bought ported bits for riding in, but they were useless, and we lost points in dressage because of the way he wagged his tongue about.

Ive had ported bits when he was driven and ported combinations to try to out fox him, nothing ever worked. Ive fitted a split rubber thingy that went over his nose and to the bit, lasted 5 mins. a rubber tongue whatsit, didn't work. ive tied his tongue down with a nylon stocking, poo bah got it off when we were driving through the village and wagged it at us!. The only thing that has been of any use was the bitless bridle. And if things had been different this is the way we would have been going. Trouble is they are not dressage legal so no help there. a bit stupid id say....

So sorry im no help whatsoever.

Offline drummers mum

• Expired Membership
      • Two ponies and me!
    « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • no no, its all helpful :db:  this is the NS site http://www.nsbits.com/

Helen, maybe the verbinded is too shaped then :-\  the other one I was looking at was the team up bit.
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:33:36 AM by drummers mum »

Offline JILLSHEP

• EE Level 3
    « Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Emily, I've just had a bitting clinic at my yard this week OMG I didnt realise how much I didnt know. Gill was fantastic, she used to own Gill's bit bank, but she's been of the radar for a while moving etc, anyway she's up and running again and isnt branded to anyone which I think is even better, your paying for her knowledge, she's fantastic I really cant recommend her enough, all the horses when sooooooo much  better. Her number is 07912224277 if you can get enough people together she will travel.

Good Luck
    Jill Shephard
    Level 3 instructor for EE
    Covers Kent, Essex and East Sussex

Offline shoveltrash

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Baucher french link snaffle.
    'hanging cheek snaffle' that keeps the bit elevated in the mouth, it doesn't lay on the tongue or bars ;)
    Trish - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

"If we are conscientious, beautiful roses can grow from the manure of our recognized and corrected mistakes."
    Erik Herbermann

Offline drummers mum

• Expired Membership
      • Two ponies and me!
    « Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
  • Publish
  • Sorry Jill, only just seen this, thanks for that, we have a riding club starting up at ours so that might be a good one for an unmounted session :nod: :db:

Trish, I am thinking of goiing back to the hanging cheek, I started in one but she was leaning so I went loose ring....have just won a team up bit on ebay though and she seems a bit better in that, for a start, its alot thinner.

Offline Jane C

• Joined-February
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »
  • Publish
  • I have a myler MB02 comfort snaffle eggbutt with hooks for Bucket which we really like.  He has a big tongue and not a lot of room in there.  The nice thing about this bit is that the port is not too high and the barrel means there is no pinching of the tongue. The hooks are great as they hold the mouthpiece in the correct position - I don't use the hooks for the reins yet.
    Holistic Barefoot - covering Fife & Tayside