Author Topic: Tribute to Mestre Nuno Oliveira and lunging/giravolta demo with Luis Valenca  (Read 9659 times)

ukica

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:15:51 PM by Heather »

Offline Heather

• Administrator
Thanks so much for this, Angela!! What a treat to see Luis! I SOOOOOOOOOO miss going to CELG, and as soon as my family problems are on the mend, I hope to get back again. It made me very 'homesick' to see the yard at the beginning! I have sat for so many hours in that indoor school!!

Heather

Offline tollertwins

• Joined-January
  • Expired Membership
Very interesting! Very pretty (and fidgety) colt, too!

(and quite gratifying to see some high end guys who horses don't want to lunge going right... I thot it was just numptys like me....  :whistle:)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
That colt would be just off the stud, having never been really handled, tollertwins. They are very nervy and jumpy to start with, but in Luis's hands they are quiet and friendly within weeks. He is one of the few true Masters left, and I feel privileged to have worked with him.

ukica

Yes TT it was nice to see horsemanship in its raw stages too, i know what you mean.  It is a very honest video  :nod:  I really like it.

So......side reins?

I wish my 3 year old was as forward as this one  :nod: but i have a phlegmatic WB....but we have a PRE stud in my region now  :dev:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:17:30 AM by ukica »

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
Very interesting and very good thank you.  :D 

He does 6 of the 7 PHN games.  Friendly (getting him used to the whip and being touched to a stop), porcupine (getting him to move away from touch), driving (moving from pointing, not touching), yo-yo (go back and forward), circling (4 circles, then change), sideways (move front and back end to go sideways from porcupine/driving).  He does it all in the same order that PNH teach.

So it seems PP has got the what to, but it's a shame he didn't learn his how to from Luis Valenca.  :laugh:

Youngsters quite often aren't keen on circling to the right.  M Valenca was good with body positioning and release to send the horse away, M Oliveira wasn't so good, was in the wrong place, so had trouble.  Probably a bit cautious due to the filming.  :)

Offline Louise C

• EE-Chat Moderator
    • Louise C & Flynn
Amazing bit of film - thanks for sharing!  I've never used side-reins - but the horse didn't look to be leaning on them like you might expect - that seems to be a big criticism of them?

Offline Heather

• Administrator
Goncalo is very shy, and probably missed his pig Sue!! For those of you wondering what the heck I am referring to- in the Training the Baroque Horse video, Goncalo is riding a 4 yr old Luso stallion when into the picture charges a black pot bellied pig, clearly having a high old time. Eventually piggy gets a bit too whoopee so they have to take him out. Later in the film, Goncalo is doing some in hand with the same horse- Piggy walks along beside him, and sits like a dog when he stops to talk. It is hilarious as Goncalo is still so solemn in his demeanour, but it is as though having a pot bellied pig in the school was quite normal whilst making a commercial video!

This was whilst he was working in Alsace, not at Luis's though!

But Luis is a terror too- a friend from the USA a CIA lawyer, as it happens, but a joker himself at the best of times, was learning to ride with Luis. Another friend and Luis decided to set Russell up, and Luis told him he had a very special horse for him to ride that day. It was Luis's pet donkey. He came out, complete with bullfighting saddle etc, and Russell mounted him in all seriousness, keeping a deadpan expression, then the donkey sat down and rolled with him. Russ was able to get off no problem, and you can imagine the howls of laughter from all of his so called 'friends'!!! There is some video of it somewhere, must see if I can find it! :laugh:

issywizz

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
He does seem like he has a good sense of humour.

Offline Heather

• Administrator
He used to have us in fits in lessons, Sarah. He would suddenly remember some anecdote about a horse we would be riding and we would be nearly falling off with laughter. Luis used to have a restaurant above the indoor school- you can see it on the video, which was rented to a Spanish guy. At the end of the lessons, Luis used to be seen nipping up the stairs to the restaurant, to nick the sugar lumps off the tables, for the horses!

On one occasion, Dr Margaret Cox was looking for a horse and we were at Luis's with some friends of ours from the States- Dr Bill Sanders and his wife, Lynda, and our friend Sarah Pinney. The stallion we were going to see was at Cascais, so Luis borrowed daughter Sofia's people carrier to pack us all in. Honestly by the time we got there, he had regaled us with tales about Nuno Oliveira, who never learned to drive, and Luis used to act as his driver quite often. Luis has a way of telling a tale that is so comical, so innocent, never a hint of malice, and also tells a tale against himself- that our stomachs were nearly knotted by the time we got there. Even my cheeks ached from grinning so much!!
On the way home we had another batch of tales, so our stomachs were even more in knots. But Luis knew a good cafe on the way home' they have such good cakes'- so he parked the people carrier on the other side of the road with hazard lights going- as it was a no parking area- and off we went for coffee and cakes. What a day- we were all exhausted from laughter by the time we got back to Vila Franca!!

Luis was running us back to our hotel one evening, and stopped at a zebra crossing to let a lady, her two children and elderly grandma cross. 'Hmmm' observed Luis, deadpan, as Granny tried to run to catch up her daughter and grandchildren 'she has a good trot'. :laugh:

Never a dull moment with him, I can tell you!! :laugh:

issywizz

Re: Tribute to Mestre Nuno Oliveira and lunging/giravolta demo with Luis Valenca
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:31 PM »
 :D :D :D

Offline cefnmablyhorse

• Joined-November
  • Expired Membership
Re: Tribute to Mestre Nuno Oliveira and lunging/giravolta demo with Luis Valenca
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »

Oh thank you so much for putting that video up, it was wonderful to watch.

I had the great privilage of meeting Mr Luis Valenca earlier this year, he such a nice man, nothing is to much trouble.
It made me want to go back to Portugal as soon as possible, fantastic horseman.

Anne

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
He is indeed a great horseman, but a truly, thoroughly lovely human being too!! :nod:

Offline SueC

• EE-Site Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »
Goncalo is very shy

That's how it came across.  :)

Although it's probably sacrilege to say so, Luis reminds me of Derryck.  :laugh:

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
Derryck- as in Brad's late Dad?