Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Notes on ulcers  (Read 13934 times)

winnieandben

Re: Notes on ulcers
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Sounds great, just googled and found this  :db:

http://www.succeedfbt.com/ulcers.asp

SNC

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi SNC, do you know what the test is called? Or just the name of your vets?

It just says a new diagnostic test is being used by his practice on fresh faeces samples taken. Here is the bit I was on about  :)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:41:10 PM by SNC »

issywizz

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 10:22:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • The website is very interesting-thanks both for posting.
    There was a faecal test available some time ago but I was told by my vet ( local vet not Richard) that it was unreliable-whether that was correct or not I dont know but this sounds like a new one and definitely more promising.
    It would certainly be massively better not to have to starve your horse and put him through scoping if atall possible.  :nod:

Offline Jo*

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • From what I read on the website, it seems that all it is testing for is evidence of blood in the faeces. This can be caused by gastric ulcers, yes, but there a whole lot of gut after the stomach that could be damaged and cause blood in the faeces as well... I'll try to do a bit of research, but nowhere does it say its specific for ulcers, and you would treat other intestinal conditions very differently to ulcers so I'm not so sure I'm a big fan of this test at the mo...

Offline Jo*

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Just did some more reading, and on their website I found this:

"Keep in mind that occult fecal blood can arise from a variety of GI tract conditions, including but not limited to:

* Bleeding ulcers (gastric or colonic)
        * Excessive parasite activity
        * Protein-losing enteropathy (PLE)
        * Lesions caused by hard particles of feed or other ingested material
        * Petechiation, hyperemias or lypomas

Additionally, a positive test result (especially Test H) can arise from extraneous sources, such as:

* After dentistry or exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage
        * Mare ovulation
        * Post-surgery bleeding "

So, like I said, not conclusive of ulcers at all!

Jo

issywizz

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • Not conclusive I agree,but may be an option for horses that are difficult to get scoped? It doesnt seem likely that you would get a false negative and if the listed conditions could largely be ruled out it would be reasonably indicative I would have thought?

Offline Cloud_cirrus

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • I had wondered why there wasn't a less invasive test for ulcers, particularly as in humans things can be diagnosed by a simple breath test.

I would presume it would be a lot cheaper and less stressful for the horse than the scope and a positive test could mean that you then went for a scope following the test?

Considering the amount of un-diagnosed horses with ulcers out there, some of whom are probably labelled as dangerous or having behavioural problems, I would be in support of a test that more people were likely to want to have done on their horse.

winnieandben

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
  • Publish

• I would presume it would be a lot cheaper and less stressful for the horse than the scope and a positive test could mean that you then went for a scope following the test?

Considering the amount of un-diagnosed horses with ulcers out there, some of whom are probably labelled as dangerous or having behavioural problems, I would be in support of a test that more people were likely to want to have done on their horse.

Agree completely  :nod:

Offline Cloud_cirrus

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »
  • Publish
  • SNC, can you find out what your vets are going to charge for the testing kit?  Website says $40 which seems ok, particularly if you got several horses in the yard tested at the same time.

winnieandben

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »
  • Publish
  • Been thinking about this, there is at a horse at my yard that has been previously scoped and treated for ulcers and now is no longer insured, so a test like this may be useful in this sort of case to give an indication of re occurrence.

Offline Lucia

• Joined-April
    • EE Society Member
    • Missing you always Sweetheart.x Mai - 1996 - 2007
    « Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Just re-read this thread - thanks Sarah and everyone for your input on here. Really useful.
     :nod:
    Only those who are capable of silliness can be called truly
    intelligent. - Christopher Isherwood

Southwest, UK