Author Topic: Spanish Walk  (Read 9440 times)

Offline Becky holden

• EE Member
Spanish Walk
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2003, 12:26:38 AM »
I use part of the daily course mix or barley rings, carrots and mints to mark extra effot or the end of an exersise or before i move on to another. To stop nugging for more food is the first lesson horses learn when the sound is introduced.nugging = nothing stand nice = click treat. Very silly horse to carry on nugging!
In the winter we had limited riding time as the school was used for turn out for the other stallions. i had no choice if to keep the horses schooled but to do lots of ground work. Often working the horse at liberty to save time with tack (to many horses not enough hours!!) I found the use of the clicker produced unbelievable motivation and gave movements natural balance. By the time summer came back around my spanish walk had become perfect without ever sitting on there back, ground work gets missed out alot i feel in this country. My seat and aids soon replaced my voice and signal with the whip. I didn't have help from the ground whilst in the saddle and found he got confused and unbalanced whilst moving forwards in earlier training, a place the ground person comes in useful. Also learning to find your balance with an extra 101/2 stone also learning to perfect the movement can't be easy! "Nobi" did better perfecting it with me on the ground!! He then taught me i suppose!
Ive started to teach my mare Ariel she loves her work and i aggree makes the winter a bit more enjoyable! :D

Bec

cptrayes

Spanish Walk
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2003, 03:47:18 PM »
To stop nugging for more food is the first lesson horses learn when the sound is introduced.nugging = nothing stand nice = click treat. Very silly horse to carry on nugging!

Of course! Feel stupid now :rolleyes:

I'll give it a go.

C