Author Topic: Conference report! PICS!!!!!!!  (Read 25899 times)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
Conference report! PICS!!!!!!!
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:51:02 AM »
Well just snatching a few moments at breakfast to report briefly on yesterday. Luckily the weather held off, and although still grey and overcast for most of the day, the temperature was really about right, as my indoor school can be like a roasting tin on a hot day! Its bright and sunny this morning, I nearly fell out of bed with shock!- I had almost forgotten what it was like to have sun shining through the curtains, so long have we had grey and wet.

But the horse excelled themselves yesterday. I was thrilled with Rei who was so chilled and calm, and I think those who had seen him before, could see a big improvement. Sarah Fox's rescue warmblood Caz and groom, Aimi, were next, Sarah having given him to Aimi now. I last saw Caz in April, and Sarah had given him two years to rehab after he was so nearly put down. He  had a stress fracture which took a long time to heal, but eventually he came sound. He had reached nearly Grand Prix in his dressage career, but as he was by then 14, his owner's daughter didnt want to bother to bring him back to full competition level and they were going to have him put down.

Sarah bought him, to save him, and left him to chill. He walked up and down the field fence for months, not grazing, just fretting and anxious. Gradually he started to accept that he was in safe hands and never going to be forced again. Sarah just hacked him and didnt attempt school work with him as he was still so stressed about it. Eventually he just switched off altogether to school work, and became almost dobbin like, whilst still having a heck of spook!

I worked with Aimi and Caz when I took a clinic at Sarah's in April. We worked purely on exercises to collect him again, a lot of rein back to trot transitions etc, and gradually he came to life in front of our eyes. By the end of the lesson, he was back to a high level dressage horse, but proud, showing off to us, and his rider with a grin that met ear to ear! People in the audience who knew him, had tears running down their faces.

Yesterday, a confident, positively cheeky Caz strode into the indoor school here. I couldnt believe the change in him! Eyes bright, interested, nosy, making everyone laugh as he demanded his treats for doing the work! Just shows what a kind home, with consistent handling does even to a horse who had mentally shut down. Great work, Sarah and Aimi, it was just so lovely to see him looking so happy and full of life!

I hopped on to see what he could do- the lateral work is a bit stiff so we worked on getting him to bend through his body again. He really has an exceptional piaffe for a warmblood too- so practised this to get him off his shoulders. He does very nice changes too, and really even at 16, is perfectly able to be brought back to full high level work. Aimi is a lucky girl to have such a schoolmaster, but I dont envy her having to sit that trot on a daily basis!! :laugh:

Becky then did a clicker training session with Fanta, to show how to begin the work. As usual, this horse who should have been a dog, had everyone in fits with his antics. I have never had a horse like him in my life- he is ULTRA intelligent, and we constantly have to think up things to keep him occupied. He is an equine comedian, and knows just how to play his auduence, and they might see again later today, when Becky rides him with  me on Rei to end the day!

Thanks to Debbie's aunt Dawn for her excellent catering and a splendid lunch.

Sarah and the lovely Bambu, did some of the work on body language that she learned with KLaus Ferdinand Hempfling.Several members of the audience had a go, including Erin, over from the US and I have videoed that, so hope to put it on Youtube for everyone to see!

Becky and Sudi did a long reining session next, and again, everyone could see a very different horse. He has also changed, almost to the point of Becky having to wake him up yesterday! But some beautiful work to music, as several said afterwards, moved them to tears. This often happens with Sudi- he has such amazing presence and is so elegant, that people frequently remark that it is so beautiful that it brings tears to their eyes. Becky's skill in long reins and in hand, is superb and there are very few in the UK who can  come close to her. She just needs longer legs to keep up with 16.1hh Sudi though!! :laugh:

Sarah and Bambu then came in, in their traditional Spanish dress and did a display to music. B as always, behaved impeccably and somehow comes to life even more when in the saddlery of the country of his birth.  What an absolute darling this horse is, a temperament to die for, and such a stunner as well.

The barbecue went very well, and went on till close on midnight! We had professional caterers this year, it was just too much trying to organise it all on top of the day's work too last year. The caterers did an excellent bbq, and superb homemade desserts, everyone chipped in a bottle so a good time was had by all!!

More tonight, better go and get ready!

Heather
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:52:58 PM by whisper's mum »

Offline lmevans

• Expired Membership
  • freedom is hairy and has hooves
Re: 1st Day of conference
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »
Urgh, now I'm even more miffed I missed it, and jealous of those there!  :(

Have a fab second day, love and hugs to all present  :wave: and a wee kiss on the nosey for my wingless angel Fanta  :wub:

L x
EET covering Dorset and Hampshire

Offline ek

• Joined-November
  • Expired Membership
  • if we could see ourselves as others see us
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »
Heather,

Thank you for that!  Almost imagined myself being sat in your school watching!

Lucy you're not the only green person, I'm ashamed to say!

I think Becky does a great job walking so fast when working her horses in hand.  I'd be running along behind them puffing and panting all the way! :laugh:

Can't wait to hear today's report.

Weather is lovely enjoy everyone!

I'm Scottish but live in Cornwall/England

Offline shoveltrash

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »
thank you for the write up Heather -
Almost imagined myself being sat in your school watching!
me too!!! :)
can't wait to hear more, and see pics/vids! :D
Trish - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

"If we are conscientious, beautiful roses can grow from the manure of our recognized and corrected mistakes."
Erik Herbermann

Offline Sisterinstitches

• Joined-March
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:11:19 PM »
Thanks from me too, for the write up! Sounds like such a wonderful time--what do you say Trish, shall we join them next year, could start planning now? My OH said last month "why don't you go by yourself?" but with nursing schedules you can't just pick up and go, must pick vacation time a year in advance.

Offline Liza

• Expired Membership
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »
Wish I was there :(

Time is what the horse needs most and your patience is the most precious gift you can give
Isabella Sontag

Liz, Black Mountains/Brecon Beacons, Powys

Offline Elinda

• Expired Membership
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »
thanks for including all of us in the conference - an inspiration to make it next year . . . .

elinda
Elinda - Utah, USA
EE Fhoenix Agent & Success Coach
http://botanicals4animals.com
Investigate Success Coaching for Horse Owners & Trainers - contact ElindaMc@gmail.com

SueWhitmore

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »
I'm so glad you are all having a lovely time. Wish I could have been there. (*I* could have disrupted Sarah and Bambibbles .......  :dev: )

Offline shoveltrash

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:54:38 PM »
what do you say Trish, shall we join them next year, could start planning now?
:nod: :nod: :nod:
yes!!!!!
we'd better start bugging Heather now for 2009 dates!  :laugh:
Trish - Boca Raton, Florida, USA

"If we are conscientious, beautiful roses can grow from the manure of our recognized and corrected mistakes."
Erik Herbermann

Offline wozzer

• Expired Membership
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
Sounds great  :)  I hope to be there, too, next year  :nod:   xx

Offline Maggie_L

• Expired Membership
  • 'Harry the Heavenly Horse'
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
Me too....I so wish I could have seen Fanta  :D

Offline whisper's mum

• EE-Site Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
It was FANTASTIC! Thank you so much everybody for making it such a special weekend.  :hug: I'll post properly tomorrow and sort out the piccies but I'm too cream crackered tonight.  :D
Helen, Worcestershire, England

On white horses, snowy white horses, let me ride away

How about a rescue pet? :-)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 11:09:48 PM »
Also too knackered to do a report tonight and taking Erin down the coast tomorrow if weather is fine. My boys having a well deserved day off- have never known any of them go so well, they really did Becky and I proud!! Had some super horses to work with, other than our own, Yvonne did sterling service giving lessons on the sims for Maria's donkey sanctuary, and Butterfly ( Vicky) and Mary were simply amazing on the tack stall, selling far more stuff than last year with half the number of people attending!! Fantastic girls, thanks so much! More funds for the donks out of that too!

Thanks also to Jenny, yard manager, and Teri, now part time help, but who always gives a much appreciated hand at events like this.

It really was quite a magical weekend- weather perfect temperature really, not too hot, and not too cold, stayed lovely for the bbq last night and everyone had a ball.

Especially wonderful, was to have Heatherjane and Erin ( torsornin) as our very special guests of honour. Two amazing and brave ladies, and who have our utmost admiration.

Thank you all who came and contributed to an atmosphere that I truly think was very special.

Heather x :hug:

Offline Julea

• Joined-April
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »
So glad to hear it all went so well . Hoping it will make you reconsider doing less conferences in the future  :whistle:

Offline Sisterinstitches

• Joined-March
  • Expired Membership
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 03:49:42 AM »
Oh yes please Heather, hopefully we could have a big North American group attend--if you'll have us that is??