Amazon    Fibre Feeds

Author Topic: Fred's Blog  (Read 40201 times)

Offline epona

• Joined-June
  • Expired Membership
    • TOIL de FRANCE
Re: Fred's Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 09:34:59 AM »
  • Publish
    It's also a touch scary for me because if I make wrong decisions... I make them in public!

Which in turn will help a multitude of people ;)  Mistakes are there to be learnt from - you are a brave barefoot pioneer :D  Good Luck!
    TOIL de FRANCE... Please sponsor me :)
    http://toildefrance.weebly.com/

Offline sarasfly

• Joined-January
    • Expired Membership
    « Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • I totally agree with Vicky!  We learn from mistakes!  :)

Offline Heather

• Administrator
    « Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • Fantastic learning opportunity for all Richard, thanks for sharing.

Heather

Offline Marengo

• Expired Membership
      • http://
    « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »
  • Publish
    Unfortunately, we've five horses now which makes [insert horse name here] the 'one too many' so if I can harden my heart enough, he'll probably eventually be sold on.

Uh-huh - that's just what I said too...  :P

;) Good on ya though. 

Beth

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:20:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hi Richard - I've just looked at your last entry - can you explain what you meant about the laminar wedge please?  Thanks  :)  Whispers 'what is laminar wedge?'

Offline rvialls

• My website
    « Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hmmm... I've got an article in progress explaining laminitis, how it works and what it looks like. Seems I need to finish that article. Basically laminar wedge is produced by the laminar corium during a laminitis attack. As the wall and the bone are ripped apart by rotation/sink, the laminar corium gets damaged. There are mechanisms in the laminar corium aimed at repairing damage to the hoof and these try to fill in the gap created as the wall separates away, but because of the damage to the laminar corium, the horn produced is poor quality (full of holes and also full of blood products from the bruising). This wedge of material that ends up between the wall and the pedal bone at the toe is called a laminar wedge.

Genevieve

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hello Richard,

saw the latest updates on Fred's blog and just wanted to send you good thoughts and well wishes for Fred!

Offline rvialls

• My website
    « Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Many thanks for your good thoughts and well wishes - Fred really needs them now.

I'm just off to pick up the X-rays from the vet but the overall picture is not good at the moment. If things get any worse than they are now, I'm going to have to have him PTS, which would be a real shame as he's done so well to get this far. It's really frustrating as I was so close to having him fully recovered until last week and I still don't know what triggered such a massive laminitis attack.

Richard

TashaKat

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 04:28:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • OMG, poor Fred.   Fingers crossed that he's ok.  Healing vibes, good thoughts and anything else that can help xxx

Offline rvialls

• My website
    « Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 10:12:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've just updated Fred's blog for those that are interested:

http://www.unshod.co.uk/articles/fredsblog.php

Richard

TashaKat

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks Richard.  I was just reading that.  It's good that there's some hope.  Fingers crossed for the little guy xxx

Offline bonny

• Expired Membership
    « Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've been following Fred's blog as well and although I know things are still looking pretty grim I'm glad to hear there's some hope.  Willing all the best for him.

Offline rvialls

• My website
    « Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • Well this morning he's noticeably more comfortable. I wouldn't like to say he's turned the corner, but the interventions the vet and I are trying right now seem to be doing something.

Richard

Offline epona

• Joined-June
    • Expired Membership
      • TOIL de FRANCE
    « Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • Crikey Richard!!  He is testing you to the limits!!  I am sending all my best <<<<<<healing>>>>>>> and <<<<<<<good Luck>>>>>>> vibes as possible and hope Fred will soon feel better - poor boy :(

Do you know what caused the laminitis in the first place in such a young horse?  Horses arent AS prone to laminitis as ponies are they?  He looks quite a substantial horse and being a hanoverian I should imagine he is in real life ;)  His feet looked so awful when you got him and you can see they ARE improving, but what a job you have Richard..............I wouldnt know where to start :o  Well apart from calling you that is hehehehe!!

I hope you and Fred get a happy ending :D
    TOIL de FRANCE... Please sponsor me :)
    http://toildefrance.weebly.com/

Offline rvialls

• My website
    « Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 06:48:03 PM »
  • Publish
    Do you know what caused the laminitis in the first place in such a young horse?

No, but around about the same time he acquired a badly broken lower jaw bone that appears never to have had veterinary attention. My guess is that there is a connection!

Richard